21 June 2009

Adventures in London: Issue 48

How can you beat a weekend that includes Borough Market, Gordon's wine bar and a visit with the family? Simple, you cannot. 

My family arrived early Saturday morning and after a quick nap to rest up, it was off to tour London. Given that it was Saturday you can only guess where the tour started. Guess Borough Market? Well then you would be correct. We did not have a great deal of time, but it was just enough for coffee/tea, raclettes and ostrich burgers. Sadly there was no room for anything else, as the market closed soon after we arrived. 

From there it was a nice leisure walk along the Thames. The day was perfect - the weather was not too hot, the Thames wasn't too crowded and I was with my family. It was perfect and I would not have changed a thing. Okay actually I lied, I would have enjoyed the day a bit more if I was not christened by my nephew. A special thanks to the last person who changes his nappy and did not put it on correctly ;-) 

That grand experience also taught me that there are NO clothing stores along the Thames! So if you are ever near the millenium bridge and are in need of some trousers....good luck finding something. Plenty of pubs, but no clothing stores let alone one that sold baby clothing.  

After sorting Kadin out, it was back to touring and site seeing :-)

We continued along the Southbank until we hit Jubliee Gardens and to Kadin's delight - - a playground. Kadin was let loose (not exactly let loose, but you know what I mean) and thoroughly enjoyed the swings, slide and rockers. Hearing his laughter is utterly blissful - there is such life and joy in his laughter. Reminds you that is what life is all about; the times you learn to let go and embrace life and laugh until your belly hurts. 

Growing up there was only one person that could truly make me laugh..26 years later they are still the one person that can truly make me laugh from the pits of my belly. 

In the musical RENT, there is a song called "Seasons of Love" in which the lyrics read

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes. How do you measure a year? In daylights? In sunsets? In midnights? In cups of coffee? In inches? In miles? In laughter? In strife? Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes. How do you measure a year in the life?
For me, it would be in laughter. What is the use in living if you don't laugh. That is the one thing people cannot take from you. 


So where was I? 

Oh yeah Jubilee Gardens. After we finished playing on the swings it was off to take a ride on the London Spinny - aka London Eye.  Rather than focusing on the different angled views of Big Ben and Parliament, I focused my attention on Kadin. Unlike Mom who stayed seated on the bench, Kadin was pressed against the glass notifying our pod of all the blue cars he could spot on the streets below. Never realised how many blue cars there are in this city :-) 

The next day was Father's Day!! For the second year I was able to celebrate the day with my brother. It amasing to see how well fatherhood suits him. Nothing compares to watching father and son....they are truly a match (they were not dressed alike cause it was father's day - - this occurence happened almost every day of their visit). 

Alright, I am off to Skype with Kadin (yes I am writing this blog after their visit) 

xoxo

T



No comments: