20 December 2009

Adventures in London: Issue 74

This week has been all about wrapping up the year, Christmas lunches, parties and reflecting on the year that is coming to a close. This will be the last full week of work. Whoa...and may I also add a YIPPEE!

On Tuesday, we had the "Business Planning & Friends" Christmas luncheon. The day is not just about getting out of the office, eating pizza, playing pub games, and enjoy some drinks... okay well maybe it is, BUT the day is also about realising why it is that we work for such a company and especially why we make such a good team. It is hard to believe that a year has already gone by. It was about this time last year that I picked Mom up from the airport and welcomed her to London. 2009 was said to be a long year, but it has gone by like a blink (okay a rather long blink). There may have been plenty of late nights, some grey hairs added on the head, and even some tears along the way, but Tuesday was all about laughing and enjoying the time with friends and co-workers.

Last year, Mindshare Worldwide travelled to Hollywood. Jumping on the success of Slum Dog Millionaire, the theme of the Christmas party was Bollywood. Since I was unable to go to India over the holiday break, I was happy to be able to spend the afternoon in India. It was just like any Indian wedding; delicious food, amasing music, great friends, and brilliant dancing. It was a top night and thankfully unlike most Indian weddings I did not have to worry about plots to get me to take seven circles around a candle ;-)

I have to say, it was a delight to see the office all dressed up. It was rather impressed to see some of the outfits that people wore to the party. After seeing how elaborate some people went, I feel like I should have bought an outfit especially for the occasion or at least worn a sari. Actually, no I completely take that back. I am rather happy that I did not. The party gave me a chance to wear an outfit that I never wore before and with the "pant suit" I was able to dance my heart out - and trust me that is what I did. I cannot remember the last time that I just let loose like that. I have been too serious lately with work, health stuff, yadda yadda that I forgot there was a life worth living.

I may have come down with a dreadful cold, but I did not let that stop me from enjoying the evening. A note to self (and word of caution to you all), it is finally winter so drying of one's hair is definitely required before leaving the house. This cold is not going to be a happy cold I can tell already. My hint was at our pre-Christmas party secret santa gathering, when I was unable to finish a glass of champagne to celebrate the months of hard work on a new client of ours. I was not too bummed about it to be honest. It has only been a month since I "gave" up drinking, but I feel more refreshed and clear. I use the quotes since I do allow myself the occasional celebratory drink from time to time - tis the season after all.

While I am on this topic, this vacation from drinking has been nice. It is not the first time I gave up drinking; I first gave up drinking when I was training for the Baltimore Half Marathon. This time I have a different reason, but to be frank I do not miss it. When I was home my friends reminded me of the person I once was - that person who never need anything wrong, did not party, did not drink, etc. When I moved to NYC, all that changed. I stopped taking things so seriously and let go a little. I started going out more, I let loose and I went "crazy" for once. Now that "rebellion" is out of my system, I can hopefully go back to a more balance lifestyle between serious and non-controlling. How on earth did I get onto this topic?

It has definitely been quite the year. Fitting that this week the thought of the day at the tube station read, "Sometimes, struggles are exactly what we need in our life. If we were to go through our life without any obstacles, we would be crippled. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. Give every opportunity a chance, leave no room for regrets." That made me think about numerous things. One in particular was a book I read a while back called the Alchemist. For those who have not read. The Alchemist is a book by Brasilian author Paulo Coelho about fulfilling one's dreams. Below is a quote that captures the essence of the book, and can be used to summarise the year that has passed and especially the last five months:
"My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer", the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky. "Tell your heart that the fear of suffer is worse that the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams." - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
On that note, I am going to bid you adieu. I hope you all are well.

Miss you all dearly and love you

xx

T

No comments: