06 June 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 98

The flight back was anything but enjoyable. Gifted with the ability to sleep anywhere and through anything, I quickly discovered on this red-eye flight back that turbulence is something I cannot sleep through. The flight was a roller-coaster ride back to London. Just days before I flew, 10 people were injured on a flight from London to LA because of the turbulence. Thankfully no one was injured on the flight, but it did leave many sick, soaked from the flying drinking and sleepless. At one point during the flight, we kept jumping so much that the crew was asked to be seated for nearly a hour. It was at that time that the panic kicked in. What if this was it. I thought of my family, of Kadin and the people I loved. Did I tell them enough how much they meant to me? It is funny what goes through your mind at times like that. Would I be able to say good? I started writing an email to them, I figured that at least the email would get sent if altitudes levels went low enough. Pretty depressing way to kick off a post huh...sorry. The flight did settle down and instead of sleeping, I stayed awake watching Shutter Island, Leap Year and some other movie that I cannot remember now. Lucky for me that Monday was a bank holiday in the UK as well, so I spent the day sleeping.

On Wednesday, we celebrated KV's leaving do from Mindshare. It seems like most of the A-I-L have one foot out the door - - honestly cannot blame them and in a short couple of months I will have that option too :-)

To enjoy the nice weather and in efforts to do something out of the norm, KV held her leaving do at the Royal Festival Halls. It was a grand day in the sun enjoying the company of friends, meeting new people and drinking some not so cold beer (sad, but you do get used to that here). When the sun set, so did the temperature. The daytime may be warm, but once the sunsets is it brutally cold. To seek refuge we escaped to The Arches for warmth and food :-)

On Friday a bunch of us from work went to support/ watch a fellow co-worker in a play. It should have been clear from the email sent that we were in for a thrilling night:

"It's going to be a really bad show - nice and slow, uninteresting and exceptionally dull. So book now to secure disappointment!"

All jokes aside, it was actually nice to show some team spirit outside of the office and the norms of drinks or a lunch. It reminded me of being in high school or college when you would go and see your friend in the school production or when we used to have our musical concerts. Dorky, but it was nice to see what our team members are up to outside of the office hours.

Whilst on holiday I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to see the Merchant of Bollywood. I had wanted to go see this show for months, but every time I went to buy tickets, something would happen to distract me. I did not know what the show was about. I had seen adverts in the Tube and in the Metro and just wanted to see the show. The Merchants of Bollywood is a colourful and elaborate dance spectacular which tells the story and history of the film industry and the influence of its stars and music over the generations. Through hit bollywood songs (Rang de Basanti, Bunty aur Bubli, Dhoom, etc) the show is high energy and choreographed brilliantly. The 40+ person cast did a fantastic job re-creating the hit songs with twist. If Merchants of Bollywood makes to your city, a HIGHLY recommending going to see it. I am so very happy that KV got us tickets and I did not miss out on the show.

Since we bought matinee tickets, we took advantage of the fine weather and the sun by having a picnic in the park. That is one thing you absolutely have to love about London....no matter where you go there are parks all around for an impromptu picnic. Convention should have said that we would have gotten a couple of sandwiches, some salad and fruit, but being KV and I we got burritos and gauc and chips for our picnic :-) It was the perfect day relaxing and not doing a thing...I even managed to turn my mind off from my to-do list and just enjoyed the feeling of fresh grass on my bare feet. Oh how I miss that feeling. I cannot wait until I have a lawn of my own and I can enjoy the weekend paper, morning coffee, and blogging with the green grass under my feet.

On that lovely note, I am going to bid you all adieu. I hope you are well and for those of you have lawns...please remember to change the pattern and direction in which you mow. It is not good for your lawn to continually mow in the same patter and direction :-)

Miss you all and love you more

xoxo

T

No comments: