I definitely should have written this HOURS ago, but as usual I got caught up with a random project in the flat. This week, weekend, and especially today has been absolutely top notch. I don't know how to describe it, but something just clicked this week. I went for a run on Wednesday and it dawned on me that I live in LONDON! Before you start thinking that I have lost the plot, let me rephrase a bit.....it was during that run that I appreciated the fact that I live in London. Who knows if it's because of the spring weather, the sunshine, the long days or what, but I took a moment to stop and smell the roses. 
Looking back on the last 28 years, I am sure I could look back and question some of the decisions that I have made - - the direction that I decided to take. I could focus on things that I did not have, wonder "what-if", hold grudges, sulk on the friendships lost...but what good does any of that do? When I look back on the last 28 years, I appreciate all the things that I have been fortunate to experience: the family trip at the age of 4 to India, getting your face smashed in a chocolate cake in Austin, the chance to go to any university I wanted, the opportunity to make mistakes and have a family that would be there for me. I have come to learn just how lucky I am for those experiences and am thankful for all the people that have supported me along the way. For the people who pushed me to take risks, to venture beyond my comfort zone, and the ones that have been there for me every step of the way...thank you!!

On Saturday, I went for a long run from Clapham into London and eastward (is that a word) to Tower Hill. It was perfect running weather - the sun was out, the flowers were blooming and not a cloud in the sky. That also meant that the streets of London were populated with every person imaginable! I thought it would have been a good idea to run along the Thames, but clearly I was not the only person with that line of thought. I was (to my dismay) joined by a crowd of tourist, street performers and annoyingly slow walkers who insist on walking 8 across on a narrow path!!! REALLY people!! I did manage to escape the crowds by taking advantage of the low tide and taking the stairs down to the river bank. I ran along the river for a couple of kilometers and then decided to take the next staircase back up. As nice as it was to run along the riverbank, the rocks and the slope made me too nervous. I am really trying NOT to mess anything up this time around with training.

During my run (well while waiting for a light to change), I had the spontaneous idea to meet up with a couple of friends who live in the area. Thankfully they were home, so I finished my run over in their neighborhood. Dressed in my "long" running shorts, we had the grand idea to go for lunch. There is nothing like chicken katsu curry and chili chicken ramen at the end of a long run to make everything well worth it. If there is one thing I love about training it is the fact that my stomach can keep up with my eyes when it comes to eating. My legs may have been really sore and stiff, but that luncheon was definitely well worth it.
Today was another picture perfect day in London. I woke early so I could fit in a training session before heading over to Hammersmith to meet up with NA for lunch and shopping at Westfields. It had been awhile since NA and I were able to meet
up on a weekend, so it was definitely nice to catch up over a refreshing salad, fine conversation, and shopping in the largest mall in England. The notion of being in a mall was rather grand and made me think of the weekends that Mom and I would spend roaming Cross Gates back home.
I did not anticipate actually buying anything. To be honest, I thought this would be a typical trip of spending a full day shopping with my only purchases being a DVD, some sort of running gear and a cup of coffee. It was not too far fetched, I haven't really shopped here. It is not because I don't know where to (although that does play somewhat of a factor), but I have NO concept of what size I am here. That all changed today... after learning what my shoe, dress, and shirt size was, I had no issues shopping. In addition to a cup of coffee I did my part to stimulate the British economy today with a couple collar shirts, a dress, a top for next weekend and a couple of pairs of heels. Yes you heard me correct... I own and wear uncomfortable shoes. In fact I like wearing them and have discovered that they serve multiple purposes. In addition to boosting my height, they also help stretch my calves (I am a dork). Thank you NA for today!! I love my purchases and cannot wait to wear some of them into the office this week :-)
Hope you all are enjoying the fine Spring weather! It is late, so I am off to bed. Don't know it always gets to be stupid-o-clock when I finally decide to go to bed.
Miss you all
xx
T
3 comments:
HOT shoes!! for some hot legs ;)
Hahaha :-) Thanks Poohbear...the only way anyone will see my legs is when I have running shorts on xx
How do they help stretch your calves? Tell me, because I was always under the impression that heels are bad for runners. (But I love my heels!)
I am absolutely DYING to read your report of the London Marathon. Was everyone just going completely bonkers for Mara Yamauchi? And how about Wanjiru, is he not hot stuff or what? Little upstart.
Post a Comment