Moving on to other topics...

This week was the G20 summit in London. The summit brought together the 19 largest economies plus the EU to discuss and tackle the financial crisis. It also brought together tens of thousands of protesters with insightful suggestions for the crisis, "Capitalism isn't working", "Hang the Bankers", "Get rid of money", "Storm the banks", etc. What was even more productive was the grand idea to launch missile and force their way into the RSB bank in The City. Come on people, what does that do? The majority of the protests were in The City (about 20 min from work). Yes I had the desire to travel over there, but figured if employees in that area were asked not to come in, or avoid the area that traveling in just to take a photo would be rather stupid on my part. So I stayed away and finished my idea to bring the nations together.
Yesterday, I hosted "Festival of Nations", where everyone brought a dish/ beverage to represent a country. Risky theme, but with our crew any excuse to cook is a good one. You would think I would have learned my lesson from the Champagne and Cheese party, but clearly I did not. We had about 14 people come representing over 11 countries. I decided to represent India and make a series of Bombay street foods: pani puri (with the pani made from scratch), bhel, mint chutney and cucumber sandwiches and paneer mirch. We also had home-made American mac n cheese, Polish perogies, Chinese roast pork and tea eggs, Italian eggplant parm, stromboli and cheese calzones, Mexican guacamole, yummy VB from Australia...the list keeps going.
The party made me realize that growing up, those indian snacks were the foods that we ate. I really did not know the world of hot dogs and easy mac until high school. Some could look back on that and say that I missed out. And yes at the time I probably thought that too. Years later I can look back on my experiences growing up with so much pride and gratitude. I am proud of everything my mom went through for my brother and I to give us a fulfilled life. Having a parent was there for you after school to feed you and rock you to sleep (I am talking about grade school now, not high school) is priceless. Words cannot say how lucky I am to have had that. Thank you!!
I am looking forward to this week: my first Seder dinner, Good Friday and Easter Sunday dinners!!! If you are thinking, "wow the people Tini hangs out with love to eat", you would be correct!
Until next week!
xx
T
No comments:
Post a Comment