16 August 2009

Adventures in London: Issue 56

This week has been rather low key - but that is to be expected when the previous weekend is spent in Rome :-) Something interesting did happen this weekend though... for the first time, I felt like I was living in NYC. Don't know what it was about this week, but it felt very much like a NYC style week of getting together with friends, impromptu dinner & drinks

On Wednesday, Powers and I met up at Southwark tavern near London bridge for "date night". We were intially supposed to go to dinner at an indian restaurant I have been wanting to try near Brick Lane, but we were both snowed under with work, so we settled on just meeting up for some fruli and nachos!! 

What we did not plan for (but perhaps should have expected) was that I would be chatted up by some nice Irish twins at the bar. Gosh if I can remember their names now (Powers...any help), but they joined us for a couple of drinks in our "cave". Maybe you can help with something, one of them said that I sounded like Jodi Foster. The reason that I bring this up, is this is NOT the first time someone has said that. My family said that to me during my brother's wedding - what I cannot tell is whether that is a good thing or if I should be offended. Well after constant shout-outs that my friend was married and I lost my attention span for them, the Irish twins left Powers and I to our Fruili :-)

That weekend, I had another "NYC moment". While bike shopping in Clapham with KV (yes I bike shopping as my bike that I shipped from the NYC was kindly borrowed by someone and never returned). Guess that is what I get when I put try to store my bike in the wrong covered shed. Anyway, bike shopping turned into coffee at Esca which then turned into burgers at the SUN (aka, my new favorite neighborhood watering hole), where we were later join by Powers and Kevin. Just like a typical Staurday in NYC, this beautiful day started with a simple shopping trip turned into an all day event with people joining as the night progressed.  Made me miss the...oh god...cannot believe the name of the place has slipped my mind....BOAT BASIN!!! There we go! Phew...now what was I saying...

Well moving on....this weekend was the half marathon. Although, I was unable to be there in person to cheer the racers and watch not only Paula Radcliffe, but Deena Kastor race the street of New York, I am thankful that NYRR aired the race online. Sipping a cup of coffee I sat on my sofa cheering and smiling while Paula ran through the streets of New York. As she ran through Central Park, down 5th ave, through Times Square, down the west end highway past Chelsea Piers I could not help but smile as these images brought back so many fond memories. Felt a bit home sick to be honest...cannot wait to be back in New York running those same streets (well not exactly the same).  One year, I am going to have to plan a trip so I can run this race, well worth the experience if you ask me :-)

Well on that note, I am going to call it a night. Hope you all are well. 

xoxo

T

Note: I sadly did not take any of these photos...but the entry looked too bare without any photos

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Cannot remember the names!! But your boyfriend worked for sainsbury's and promised to add fruli to the stock. We need to check to see if he is a man of his word!!

Anonymous said...

You DO kind of sound like Jodi Foster but it's not at all a bad thing.

Mary Wittenberg is really doing an incredible job or wooing the big running stars to NYC for our Half and full Marathons. Ryan, Paula, Kara, Deena.

I was out of town that weekend and unable to spectate--last year I bandited that race. The course is alright (running thru Times Square is supposed to be a highlight but I didn't think it was too cool) but the weather is always hideous--NYC in August? UGH!