13 September 2009

Adventures in London: Issue 60

This week has been a mix of catching up with old friends, working hard and enjoying new friends. As mentioned last week, we have a couple of team members from out of town (one from NYC and the other from Singapore) that are here for a 3-day training session. It was a good couple of days of long training session followed by lovely catch-ups and dinners. It had been some time since I had seen one of the team members, we used to be "Bi Bim Bap" buddies. It was out tradition for the years that we worked together in NYC. Here in London we've had to make a new tradition - curry night at my flat. Cannot wait for the next reunion of the circle of trust and chance to catch up with the "family" :-)


On Wednesday, my friend SS and I went to see Julie and Julia, a new comedy by Nora Ephron (When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seatle, etc). The movie tells the story of Julia Child and her time in France along side Julie Powell, a cooking enthusiast who takes on the challenge to cook all 524 recipes from Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in 365 days. She creates a blog to detail her experiences of cooking boeuf bourguigon, cooking lobster, and the ultimate challenge of stuffing a duck.

My friend was rather bored of the film, but I found the movie rather entertaining. Enjoying to cook myself, I was intrigued by Julie Powell's desire to cook an entire cook book from cover-to-cover. If I were to embark on a similar challenge, I think I will start with the Top Chef book my cousin gave me for my birthday :-)

What I found interesting in the movie is how they showed the two women's evolution as they discovered their passions in life and the support network they had. They depicts Julia Child's (played by Meryl Streep) life in France and how she discovered her love for cooking at the Le Cordon Bleu and the grief she dealt with trying to break into a "man's profession". Through out her journey she had her husband to supported her throughout the experiences. On the other side, you had Julie Powell, a 30-something writer, who discovers the love of cooking. She starts a blog to share her attempts in cooking Julia Child's book with the "world out there". Unlike Child, Powell had to endure a streak of misunderstanding and quarrels as the "blog was taking a life of its own". For people who don't blog, the notion of blogging seems rather pointless and unnecessary. Well you know my point of view on blogging, but I am curious to hear yours. Also, if you've seen the movie, please share your thoughts.

The rest of the week was pretty low key. A few of us went out on Friday for some happy hours drinks in Covent Gardens turned into dancing in Holborn. We decided to do something new, so rather than the same ole local pubs near work, we ventured up to Covent Gardens to a bar called Freud's. It is a little bar underground with the most delicious cocktails you will taste. There is a drink there called the "Yum Yum" which is just that. Freud's is definitely one of those secret bars that you will stumble upon via word-of-mouth....so if you are in town don't try looking Freud's up in the tour book - I will take you :-)
Well home you all are well. Miss you dearly and love you much more
xoxo
T
PS: A very happy birthday to Miss Mollly (aka my everything girl). First year in 4 years I did not spend that we did not grab a midnight drink together :-( Sorry I was not there, but hope you had a lovely weekend celebrating!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tini do you think you'd read Powell's book upon which the movie was based?