21 November 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 122

How can you follow a week in India/Malaysia? I definitely suffer from the post-holiday blues. It has been nice to return to the office, but then you are also quickly reminded why you were so happy when you were on holiday and away from it all. I have faith that things are going to change. I have decided to fast for 10 weeks. The last time I did this something good came about, so I am hoping for the same. Don't miss understand me, I am not do this in order to get something out for it. That is not my intention. All I want is a sense of discipline and a chance to show my devotion to to a greater power and to accepting that I do not possess the ability to control everything that surrounds me. I think that has been the hardest concept to accept. We are often mistaken that if we get ourselves involved and 'do' that we can somehow alter the course of path. If you have watched sliding doors then you are well aware that what is meant to be will be.

This week has been about settling back to life in London...cold grey London. How I miss the 30 degree short and shirt weather!! In addition to a new outlook on life, I also brought back with me some sort of parasite. Serves me write to be quite fair. With the amount of food that I ate in both Malaysia and India it was only a matter of chance that I got something. The doctor's initially thought I had Malaria, but thankfully I didn't. I was just going to be hungry non-stop and eat EVERYTHING in my path. Sounds like a dream, but it is actually rather annoying. You finish your plate (which a new concept for me), but within 30 minutes your tummy is rumbling with hunger pains.

I was pretty out for the count Tuesday through Friday checking in with the doctors on my progress and results. With the weekend I thankfully felt better and was able to join the real world again. My Mom's cousin was in town for the weekend so on Saturday I met up with my cousin and his family. The evening was meant to start at the Fifth Floor cocktail bar at Harvey Nichlos (which it did for me). The Fifth Floor at Harvey Nichlos is a cute trendy bar. They make a perfect old fashion there so they have an 'A' in my book. Unfortunately, Deval Mama and family were unable to join me due to train complications so we went straight to the restaurant.

It was a lovely evening catching up with Darshan since my return from Asia. We spoke about marketing and analysing return and Deval Mama told stories about his uni days with Dad. Who knew Dad was a film buff too. They aimed to see 52 movies in a year...flipping brilliant if you ask me. Makes you wonder...on average how many movies do you reckon you see? At the theatre the old fashion way. Going to have to count them this coming year. I doubt I would hit 15, 12 even. I tend to buy on DVD or wait for Sky Premiere. I was not entirely able to eat as desired, but it was nice to be able to stomach food and enjoy the company of family.

It was vital that I bounced back into eating shape as Sunday was the Americans in London family Thanksgiving celebration. Silas and Brenda hosted the 3rd annual meal for the 14 of us and what a meal it was. Let me see if I can remember what all was on the dinner table (and eventually in my belly)
  1. Turkey
  2. 2 types of stuffing
  3. Brussel sprouts
  4. Cranberry sauce
  5. Green bean casserole
  6. Cream corn bake
  7. Carrots (aka the only thing I did not eat)
  8. Sweet potato pie
  9. Beet root salad
  10. Mashed potatoes
  11. Grilled lamb

For dessert there was homemade pecan pie, pumpkin squares and apple cinnamon sticky balls. Wondering what the last dessert was? It was a dessert that I made up for the holiday. It is my variation of Gulab Jamun made especially for TG. I don't remember how I made it exactly (as I made it up as I cooked); it involved carmelising the apples in port, butter and cinnamon. It was then mixed with flour, scottish cream, nutmeg and more cinnamon. The syrup was made from brown sugar, water and cinnamon sticks. Was a gamble, but I believe it paid off. I am getting a 'rep' for my balls (did anyone else just giggle or is it just me). Reckon you will be reading about more inventions in the coming posts.

I definitely have the post-holiday blues, but spending the night with the London family was a lovely welcome. Could not have asked for a better weekend.

Hope you all are well and looking forward to your TG celebrations (for where it is celebration of course)

xx

T

PS: Aarti Mami, thank you very much for the festive top. I got a number of compliments on the shirt. Thank you again for a lovely visit.


No comments: