28 November 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 123

It was my first full week of working in 3 weeks, which meant there was a LOT to catch up on. It has been a busy week, but I am focused on ensuring I don't let the stresses of life get to me. Nothing can be accomplished if you focus solely on the stress and anxiety of situations. Take a step back, take a deep breath and you will realise everything is achievable.

On Wednesday the 'boys' and I went out for a pint at the local pub. It is nice to have a team that is family again. A team that you want to be around, that you can laugh with (or at). We are a quirky bunch, but we are a 'family'. We ended up at the labyrinth that is called the Porterhouse. It was an early night of half pints and chips!! Just the way to celebrate the night before TG and the adventure of a weekend I had in store.

On Thursday, a mate from New York came for a weekend visit to London. It was an interesting visit to say the least. Sometimes one needs to learn to say 'No' or learn not to get carried away invites. If I am not careful I could let me a vampire into my house - - yes yes I have been watching too many True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Twillight movies. Speaking of, let's look at the facts about vampires and shape shifters (aka werewolves). The myth of garlic and holy water have been disproved. You have to welcome them into your house, they cannot walk in the sun (unless they have a charmed ring with a witches spell) and the only way to kill them is with a wooden stack through the heart. Ironic don't you think; the only way to kill a soulless creature is with a dagger to the heart. On the other hand there are the shape shifters or werewolves (they are different people!!). Shape shifters and werewolves exist to eliminate the world of vampires (it is always good to have a purpose in life). What triggers their transformation is a bit of a mystery as neither of the documentaries mentioned above have a consistent story. If you go back to Underworld, then the legend has it the way to kill a werewolf is with sliver.

You know I have no idea where I was going with all this. There was a point I swear. Something to do with the material possessions and the notion of which creature is actually more evil and menacing. I've lost my point while trying to make coffee....

So back to the post. Thanksgiving night was spent welcome my mate from NY. After a hiccup at airport (first of many to come) she made her way into Central London. Post work, we went to Champagne Charlies and then took a mini-tour of SoHo. At the end of the day it was an okay evening, not really my cup of tea, but heck.

On Black Friday in the Entler household it is tradition to watch the Nebraska vs Colorado college football game. This year was the last game ever that these two teams would play as Nebraska is moving to the Big Ten next year (note: I am typing this, but have NO CLUE what I am saying). A few of us made our way to Waltham Cross after work for an evening of American football, bacon dip, artichoke dip, pizza, wine & beer and a slumber party! It was the perfect way to end the week. It is the sign that we are all starting to settle down; a night in by the fireplace, eating tasty game food and curling up on the sofa under the duvet is the ideal night!!

On Saturday after heading home for a quick shower, it was off to Borough Market for the start of our frozen tour of London. Really not the day to be outdoors, but as it was the only day to take my guest out and about there was no choice. Thankfully mulled wine came to the rescue - for those outside of Western Europe you have no idea what you are missing. Statistics show that it take 21 days to alter ones habit. It has been nearly 1 month since I gave up eating beef; officially I gave it up 9-Nov (upon my return and entry to Mumbai). Walking around Burough market was certainly a test of willpower as one of my favourite stalls is the burger stand. I refrained and opted for the cheesy sandwich at the Raclette stand - - DELICIOUS!!!! Definitely the way to go if I may say.

After Borough at a Christmas market at Southwark Cathedral, we walked along the Thames towards Big Ben. It seemed like a good idea, but when we reached St Pauls, it was evident that it was way to cold to be outdoors. We stopped for mulled wine along the way, but the freezing weather was just too much. We had to call the walking tour quits and decided to take a taxi to Hyde Park to enjoy the Winter Wonderland carnival. It is a cheesy market, but I rather enjoy the Winter Wonderland christmas market. I have yet to experience the rides and all, but it is worth the trip for some holiday shopping, mulled wine, doughnuts and sausages. Again the burgers were very alluring, but I resisted. This no beef thing is going to be more of a challenge that I thought.

Probably the last weekend I really wanted or needed, but I survived. Was actually pleased to see Sunday night and was happy to curl up on the sofa and catch up on X-Factor. I have spared you from the X-Factor updates this year, but next year you all in the States will know what I am talking about :-)

Well, hope you all are warm and enjoying your TG break

xx

T





No comments: