I used to be a fan of snow...love the smell of the air just before the first snow fall. I used to think that fresh snow was the most happy and pretty winter site you could have. 'I used to' is the operative phrase there. Snow in this country is a simply nightmare. Less than 2 cm can cause complete havoc and mayhem in this country. Tuesday we witnessed our first snowfall. The office advised employees to go home early as trains were stopping service. For me, I stayed in the office as I had tickets to go see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 in Leicester Square. Between the student marches and protest over the increase in student fee and the snowy weather, Central London was a ghost-town at 8:00pm. A bit freaky and scary how quickly people run out of the city with the sign of flurries.
When every sought refuge from the 'storm', Naomi and I went to the movies to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. This is the first HP film where I did not read the book before going. I wanted a sense of mystery. Also wanted to see if the movies would be as interesting and engaging if you did not know what was going to happen. I am keen now to read the book. The movie was entertaining, a bit of repetitive; chase chase chase, sappy sappy sappy, chase chase chase. I am looking forward to seeing part II. It is odd to watch a movie that ends mid-way - - wonder if other directors and studios are going to try this format for movies. Will they attempt that with Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn? Let's wait and see. Does anyone know when that movie is coming out. I definitely cannot wait to see that one!!
Now that it is December (and officially time to put up Christmas decorations), it means that the countdown to the end of the year begins. I have 3 work weeks left this year before I go home. Scary how fast December snuck up on us. As we are now in the season of festivities and wrapping up the year, the social calendar has become rather active. On Wednesday, attendance at the office was bleak due to the snowy weather. Trains were either not running or experiencing hours and hours of delayed service. Helpful on one hand as it meant that distractions were kept to a minimum. That meant that it allowed us to leave 'on-time' and squeeze in a few pewters of lager at my new favourite afterwork bar Champagne Charlies.
Its been a good 2 months since Pat and I had our 'last date'. We definitely are a 'married couple' now...spending time with each other is becoming increasingly difficult because of our work and travel schedules. We skipped the month of November as I travelled the first half and he travelled the second half. Thankful, we were able to align our schedules for a low-key dinner at Wagamamas on Thursday. I always enjoy my evenings with Pat. In just a matter of a few months we had years of catching up to do; career moves, bithdays, travel recaps, life directions, and some light hearted laughter. I am glad that we had the opportunity to catch up. Given the season it is hard to find time in one another diaries, but just go to show you always make time for those who mean something to you.

Despite having loads of work to do and last minute changes to a brief, I made some effort and kept my plans to see meet a friend at Noble pub in North London. It is cute neighbourhood pub with an open fireplace, a killer wine menu and delicous food. I thought I would be adventurous and ordered the duck liver and sausage starter and a goat cheese and beet root corstini as my main. I was definitely stressed when I left the office, but once I saw the fireplace and had a bite to eat my worries went away and I was ready to enjoy the weekend up in North London. May be a matter of 15 miles, but given the snowy weather I packed an overnight kit in case I got stuck with no way to return to south London. You learn rather quickly, carry an umbrella in the spring to summer time, and when it snows carry an overnight kit if travelling more than 5 miles from home. Easy rules of thumbs I say.
My friend has a dog (which was heaven on my allergies) so during the daytime we went for walks in the park. I believe we walked around Finsbury Park (cannot really tell as the whole area seems to be different parks and gardens). It was a pretty walk through the woods and seeing the foliage It was a semi-relaxing weekend. Being away from home forced me unwind a little. I have come a long way since July, but I have to work at it. Relaxing and letting go do not come easily to me. I spent the day on Sunday working from my friends place on some stuff. Did not make for being the best house guest, but I needed to focus on getting some stuff done. It is hard sometimes for people who are not in our industry to understand the world that we work in. It is wrong to work on weekends, I agree. But some times it just needs to be done. Important thing is to keep those occurrences to a minimum.
OMG!!! I almost forget the best part of this week. Actually I should have mentioned it last week. Glee is coming to the UK!!! Yes you know what that means!! I was meant to buy tickets when they first went on sale, but apparently 26 Nov was a Friday and not a Monday as I initially thought. That said, I was able to solidify 4 tickets to the concert. Not proud of the seats, but at least I will be there to enjoy!! Shame this song won't be performed (it is my latest obsession song).
Miss you all and love you dearly
xx
T
No comments:
Post a Comment