16 January 2011

Adventures in London: Issue 130

Season 2 of glee has started in the UK - FINALLY!! Despite having watched the first 3 episodes of the season when I was in the US in Oct I could not wait to see it 'live' on TV; so much better than watching it on a laptop screen over internet connection. I was not too entirely impressed by the few episodes that I watched, but nonetheless I was pumped. It doesn't take much to get me excited for a cheesy tini bopper TV show - I know! I am really hoping that this season picks up. I am getting a bit fed up with Rachel and Finn. I hope this season is not entirely about them, but that they branch out and develop the other characters a bit - - not that Rachel and Finn are developed at all, but you get what I mean. Would like the focus to be on someone else for a change.

This week was the first full week of the year. I am settling into my new role at work; learning a whole lot everyday. I am like a sponge for all things digital!! Don't quite know what they all mean nor what they all do, but I am trying to make sense of it all. Fingers crossed I manage to do so ;-) It is rather interesting when you start reading about the applications and widgets out there. I cannot quite understand why they all exist, but they do. Can some explain to me the point of Four-Square? Why does your 'social network' need to know where you are? Do I really need to know if someone has unlocked a barrister badge? Is that really sharing and communicating? By being apart of a social network does that make one more or less social? Good thing that question is not part of my job description...I just need to know how to measure it - PHEW!

It is a mystery on how it is that there are bar in London that despite being there at 5:40pm they are packed! On Thursday I had the desire to go to Gordon's for some wine and cheese. Sadly there were no tables when I showed up. What time do you need to show up to get a seat there? And don't people work? Since we could not find a place to stand, we went to my new favourite Champagne Charlies. I truly heart this place. Brian, the manager there, knows me and what my drink of choice there is. He even commented on my new hair do. What more could you ask for from a bar - - good beer, great cheese, and a friendly staff that remembers you.

It was a pretty chilled weekend. I spent it catching up on my personal projects. One of which is to put together a photography portfolio. I have been talking about it for a few years now and finally decided to start one. First step was creating the short list. I narrowed 10K+ photos from the last year and created 7 sub-categories: Flowers, Food, Landscape, People, Places and Things. I still have a bunch of sorting to do as each still contain over 100 photos, but I am getting there. What I am planning on doing with it? Who knows. I have not thought that far ahead. Any suggestions?

I don't know if I mentioned or if I should, but I signed up for the Berlin Marathon. I am scared to say the least, but my only goal is to start and finish this race. Today I went for my first training session. The fact that 2 Aug was the last time I ran was rather clear. It is nothing to write home about, but I managed to make it through 45 minutes constant clocking in 7.24km. It is going to be a patient road until 42km, but I will get there. Fingers crossed ;-) The best part of the run was taking a nice warm bath and reading a bit before cooking dinner. For dish #2 of my '53 dishes' resolution I made chicken & pasta in a port wine cream sauce with corn and asparagus. I put a wee bit too much black pepper as I was concentrating more on the conversation with Mom than cooking, but overall it was tasty.

xx

T

No comments: