30 January 2011

Adventures in London: Issue 132

There was a time when our crew saw each other once a week (at least). We were an inseparable crew. I am not saying that we are not anymore, we have just evolved as a group. We are all settling down in our own ways; some are newly married, some are planning their wedding, others are taking classes, and some are dating and adjusting to new roles in the workplace. We all have our special something and it feels different. It is a new feeling to have... a new routine. I am not a person for change and definitely not a person to move beyond my world of structure, I am embracing this next evolution. It is a new process, a new structure and I am smiling at what lies ahead. Where was I? Oh yeah! Powers and I went out to dinner on Wednesday. Sadly we had to booked weeks in advance, but such is life in our new planned world. We went to my favourite brunch place in the neighborhood - the Grafton House. They do a lovely weekend menu, but was not impressed by their dinner menu. Maybe if I had the burger I would say otherwise, but at least the company was nice. It was lovely catching up with Powers - been way too long since we had a one-on-one.

At work a friend and I started a new initative at work - - Whisky Galore. What is the objective? Well for us it is to learn more about whisky with the goal of trying all the distilleries. For the group, it is about sharing our love for scotch with others. It is like wine tasting, but different!! HAHA!

The theme of our first galore event was an induction for everyone into scotch; a tasting tour of Scotland. On the menu for the night...

  • Islay: Laphroaig 10 yr - a peaty smokey scotch with a long finish
  • Cambeltown: Springbank 10 yr - complex scotch with an citrus changing flavour and smell
  • Highland: Dalmore Gran Reserva - short finish tasting of marmalade
  • Speyside: Oban 14 yr - light peaty with a short finish.
  • Island: Talisker Distillers edition, Jerez Amoroso sherry finish - balance scotch of smokiness with a sweet finish
  • Lowland: Auchentoshan Three Wood - sweet heavenly scotch
My favourite ironically was the Auchentoshan. Normally I am a highland girl, but the sweetest of the Three Wood was simply lovely! We did not make a big night. Just a "quick" scotch tasting so we could all make our dinners that we poorly planned at 7:30.

The weekend was rather low key. I finished reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. Has anyone read this? It is an extremely interesting book. I don't know how to describe it. It is brilliantly written I will say that. The book is about these two guys at dinner. It is a conversation between the two gentlemen where you can only hear what one side is saying. They start with a brief chat which turns into dinner. It is when the sunsets that the story unfolds and gets really interesting. I had to re-read the ending a couple of times. If you come across this book I highly recommend it. At work we have been passing it forward - - it is just one of those books. I have been struggling to find the next read. Any suggestions?

It has been a lovely week. There were some hiccups and 'late' nights, but all is well that ends well. I did not add any more miles to the log nor any dishes to the menu, but every week cannot kick dupa.

Hope you all are well. Miss you dearly. Please do continue to share what is new in your neck of the woods.

xx

T

No comments: