04 March 2012

Adventures in London: Issue 187

I signed up for my second race of the year and one that will probably be my biggest challenge for the year...The Royal Parks Half Marathon on 07-Oct-12! I am super excited for this race. It is through the company, so will be wicked to run with a bunch of colleagues and friends. Going to miss Steve and Sarah though. Won't be the same without them. So this is another blog with a plug, I need your support again. I am running in support of Tommy's the baby charity. Tommy's funds medical research into the causes of premature birthed, stillbirth and miscarriage. It is a great charity, so if you would like to sponsor, please visit my page: http://www.justgiving.com/teaknee. Thank you in advance for any support big or small!!




The weekend came early this week and with it the first holiday of 2012. In 2011, I travelled a lot outside of the UK. This year is going to be about enjoying the UK a bit more. First stop - the Lake District. The Lake District is a bit outside of London, so we took a long weekend. Before heading up to the cottage in the Lake District we made a stop in Lytham St Annes to visit with Hubbz' sister and her family. Lytham St Annes is a cute village by the sea. I don't know how to quite describe it. You could say it is a bit like Lake George without all the tourists. It is a beautiful village with such a pleasant vibe to it. I don't know how to describe it...sorry. We spent the day chilling with Sue, walking on the boardwalk, watching Dan at the skatepark (wicked) and a lush dinner at the local Italian restaurant. It was just the start we needed before kick starting a very active weekend!






On Saturday we woke up early and made our way to Kendall. We arrived before the cottage was ready, so we decided to go for a bike ride. The intended route was 26 miles + the extra distance from the cottage to Kendall. The route was A LOT hillier than we had planned for. I attempted to attach my camera (not that DSLR, but the samsung) to the bike, but the bumpy ride only led to the camera eventually going into the pocket. Will need to master attaching it properly next time on the road. The ride was beautiful! After 21 miles we arrived at the Arneside Pier. It was at this point I threw in the white flag and announced that I could not pedal an other inch. With that, we locked up the bikes to the pier and went to the local pubs for some pints. You are probably thinking that this concludes the bike adventure. NO! The fun was just starting! After ordering 4 1/2 pints of beer we realized that neither one of us had our wallets. Thankfully, the manager allowed us to drink our half pints (we promised to return any settle our tab). The adventure continues, but honestly I am not going to bore you with the details as it will just make you wonder why I am allowed to leave the house... ;-)





You would think that after the adventures of Saturday, we would be finished with the "holiday karma" (we always seem to have something go astray on holiday), but looks like we were not over it. Sunday's mission was a 8 mile hike...simples. What could go wrong? We had a map?! Had was the operative word there. 1K into the hike, we lost the map and had no clue which way we were supposed to go. What does one do when they loose their map....you keep calm and carry on!




The hike was a bit more challenging than we anticipated, but we continued through it. There was nothing that was going to stop us from reaching the top of the mountain. Probably worth saying. We started the hike with "oh look at the pretty snow cap mountain tops"....little did we know that is precisely where we were going. Looking back, I am so pleased and proud that we did this hike. The photos alone do not capture the experience of being on top of a mountain and having to cross three peaks before commencing our descend. Nothing can capture being 800m in the air and being caught int a snow storm and having snow stuck to your face as you hiked. Nothing will explain the hike but thinking about brings such a sweet smile to my face. What an experience. Never thought I would have managed that...but so glad that I did. Here's to more adventures ;-)


Hope you all are well and having adventures of your own. Miss you all dearly and truly!

xxx


T

No comments: