20 May 2012

Adventures in London: Issue 198

At the time it sounded like a great idea...Monday morning flight to Turkey for a few days for work. simples, take the 0710 flight to optimize the time spent with the team in Istanbul. What I failed to take into consideration was a 0710 flight meant a 0430 car pick up :-( When my alarm went off at 0330, I cursed myself for suggesting this meeting...sadly could't blame anyone other than myself for this. I arranged the meeting and approved the itinerary. It was a long couple of days with the team, but they were productive and I am pleased that we were able to achieve so much whilst I was there. It was nice to have a change of scenery and have the opportunity to roll up my sleeves a little and programme with the guys. It was refreshing and just what I needed.

Actually what I really needed was a pillow. Travelling is exhausting. People may think that traveling for business is glamourous, but its really not. All I had the ability to see what the inside of the office and followed by the hotel room. Was a shame as Istanbul is meant to be GORGEOUS! Suppose I will just have to go back for a personal trip. Thankfully on this business trip I did not misplace my passport and was around on Thursday for my surprise birthday celebration that Mands had arranged. It was the sweetest thing ever. I really needed a pick-me-up evening and this was exactly what I needed.

It was a nice relaxing (and intoxicating) evening with some friends. The 2for1 cocktails were a bonus or a curse...depends on how you look at it. When we ordered 16 drinks for 4 people, we should have known it was going to be one of those HILLLAARRRIIIOOUSS nights and it was. It was really nice to see the Americans. Been a while since we've seen one another so it was nice to catch up. Didn't feel the greatest come Friday morning, but that is a sign of a great birthday party (aka the one night a year I really let my hair down). Thank you Mands for a very special night!

Over the weekend while some folks did the National 3 Peaks Challenge (3 of the UK's biggest peaks in 24 hours), I spent the weekend at home chilling, blogging and playing with photos. On Sunday, I had the Hornsey YMCA 10K in Ally Pally. I was in no mood to run it due to the lack of training, but I am really glad that I did. Wasn't my fastest, in fact it was definitely my slowest run as I hurt myself 2 miles into the race, but I finished nevertheless. This weekend some people pushed themselves to the limit... hiking Snowdon in Wales, Scafell Pike in England and Ben Nevis in Scotland. It was the hardest thing that they have ever done, crying after the first pike, throwing up after the second and hitting the wall on the third. When you hear about the challenge that they were undergoing...a 10K seemed like a walk in the park even if I tripped myself :) So very proud of the 3-peak challengers -- Mands  you are a rockstar for doing this challenge. Amazed that you accomplished this in under 24hours (when the goal was 25.5 hrs) and were the 2nd female to finished!

It feels great to be running again. The ankle is bothering me, but I am pushing through it. Need to get an x-ray though to determine if it the pin or just that I need more physiotherapy. Will keep you posted!

Miss you all dearly

xxxx

T

No comments: