Sorry for the delay on posting this - and thank you to those who inquired about Issue 15. I was
in NYC for the weekend - who would have thought that NYC would be a weekend trip?! I flew in on Friday and flew back to London Monday night. It was nice to be home and to see my family and friends, which made it quite hard to come back to London. I thoroughly enjoyed my time living in NYC, I have some great memories and experiences that I will always cherish, but this trip made me realize that I am pleased to have moved to London. Don't get me wrong, I will always miss my family and my friends and I will continue to wish that they were here by my side experiencing this all with me - I just don't miss the city itself. NYC seemed quite foreign to me and rather exhausting. May help if I try not to squeeze in a week's visit in a matter of 3 days.
Anyway, onto the adventures of the week - well really the weekend.
For the 4th year in a row, my camera and I travelled to the UES to watch and support the NYC marathon. Everyone has a sport that they are passionate about - I have discovered that mine is definitely the women's marathon. I cannot wait to make my marathon debut at the 40th ING NYC Marathon next year!! It is a year away - yet I am quite nervous. Too early to be nervous and stress I know, but just want to make this dream happen. And really trying not to injure myself in the process. The 2008 NYC marathon was quite a pleasure to watch (even if it was for a short while). Paula Radcliffe can definitely go down in the books as the greatest marathoner of our time. Paula became the second person to be a 3-time NYC marathon winner with her back to back wins. I almost missed taking a photo of her as I froze when they ran by. Just could not believe my eyes. For starters, was in complete awe when I saw that Kara Goucher (USA Olympian for the 5K & 10K in Beijing) was running right on Paula's side. I later discovered that Kara beat Paula in her half-marathon debut in England by nearly a minute. Kara, a native to Queens, became the fastest women in New York with her marathon debut time of 2:25:53. Does the USA have a new women's marathoner for the 2012 games? Not that I am biased, but I quite liked the team we had this year - shame you cannot have 4 people.
Speaking of US Olympians, Magda Lewy-Boulet returned to the streets of NYC. In a year of repeats, I got to repeat a number of photos of runners (elite and non)...including one of Magda. My friend TK noticed that I had a photo of her running 4 years ago and now after meeting her I got to photograph her running again (took a better photo this year). She ran by with complete ease - guiding along as if she had just started the race. Wonder in what shape I will be in at mile 17. Doubt I will make it look so effortless, but hope to have good form.
The experience of taking photos this year was rather different. I came to the realization that I am not going to be able to photograph the marathon next year. Was a bit bummed about that notion, but have entrusted Granny with my camera to do the job for me. Will be sure to make a cheat sheet of the runners to look for, but she already knows the cheering spots (yes spots - I have two). Hopefully she will do a better job than I did this year. I was distracted and not fully focused on the marathon. Who would thought that taking photos was a head game too!?! After having my running photographs taken from me - I wanted to retake the photos. Sadly I am not pleased with the photo overall from this year :-(
After watching the top 10 women run by, I raced home to change for dear Kadin's 1st birthday party. I cannot believe that he is 1 already. Feels like yesterday I was writing to you all announcing his arrival. I have been going through photos from the past year and it is amazing to see how much he has changed - even in the last 6 weeks he has changed. 12 months ago he fit in the palm of your hand and now it is a struggle to make him sits still - unless you have bubbles. I was very pleased to be greeted by a hug this time (rather than the screaming tears that I received last year). I don't even want to think about how much he is going to change and grow over the next 6 days - weeks - months... He will be walking and talking for sure the next time I see him. How scary is that concept?! He is growing up so much and I am 6000 miles away. Hmmm that just put me in a mood, so I am going to go to bed. Plus it is 01:30 and I am exhausted from the red-eye trip back and election watching.
Blogging is great, but uploading photos has been annoying and time consuming.
I am looking forward to this weekend and my dear B visiting!
xoxo
T
in NYC for the weekend - who would have thought that NYC would be a weekend trip?! I flew in on Friday and flew back to London Monday night. It was nice to be home and to see my family and friends, which made it quite hard to come back to London. I thoroughly enjoyed my time living in NYC, I have some great memories and experiences that I will always cherish, but this trip made me realize that I am pleased to have moved to London. Don't get me wrong, I will always miss my family and my friends and I will continue to wish that they were here by my side experiencing this all with me - I just don't miss the city itself. NYC seemed quite foreign to me and rather exhausting. May help if I try not to squeeze in a week's visit in a matter of 3 days.
Anyway, onto the adventures of the week - well really the weekend.
For the 4th year in a row, my camera and I travelled to the UES to watch and support the NYC marathon. Everyone has a sport that they are passionate about - I have discovered that mine is definitely the women's marathon. I cannot wait to make my marathon debut at the 40th ING NYC Marathon next year!! It is a year away - yet I am quite nervous. Too early to be nervous and stress I know, but just want to make this dream happen. And really trying not to injure myself in the process. The 2008 NYC marathon was quite a pleasure to watch (even if it was for a short while). Paula Radcliffe can definitely go down in the books as the greatest marathoner of our time. Paula became the second person to be a 3-time NYC marathon winner with her back to back wins. I almost missed taking a photo of her as I froze when they ran by. Just could not believe my eyes. For starters, was in complete awe when I saw that Kara Goucher (USA Olympian for the 5K & 10K in Beijing) was running right on Paula's side. I later discovered that Kara beat Paula in her half-marathon debut in England by nearly a minute. Kara, a native to Queens, became the fastest women in New York with her marathon debut time of 2:25:53. Does the USA have a new women's marathoner for the 2012 games? Not that I am biased, but I quite liked the team we had this year - shame you cannot have 4 people.
The experience of taking photos this year was rather different. I came to the realization that I am not going to be able to photograph the marathon next year. Was a bit bummed about that notion, but have entrusted Granny with my camera to do the job for me. Will be sure to make a cheat sheet of the runners to look for, but she already knows the cheering spots (yes spots - I have two). Hopefully she will do a better job than I did this year. I was distracted and not fully focused on the marathon. Who would thought that taking photos was a head game too!?! After having my running photographs taken from me - I wanted to retake the photos. Sadly I am not pleased with the photo overall from this year :-(Blogging is great, but uploading photos has been annoying and time consuming.
I am looking forward to this weekend and my dear B visiting!
xoxo
T
1 comment:
I ran the freakin' marathon, and am burning with jealousy that you got to see Paula, Kara, Magda, Gete and Catherine run by. I tell you now, it is bittersweet--gorgeous to run your own race on such an amazing course, but I ached not to be able to watch the TV coverage, and see my elites dash by at mile 14, where I always stand and cheer for my fast ladies.
Post a Comment