But before I get to this week, allow me to extend a massive thank you to you all. I greatly appreciate the support you have shown me during the course of this adventure and especially in the last couple of weeks. Fingers crossed - it can only go up from here :-)
So, back to this week....
On Thursday, I travelled to New York for Kadin's 2nd birthday. It is so hard to believe that 2 years have already flown by. It seems like just yesterday we received the phone call from my brother (4 hours after the Red Sox won the World Series) saying that they were off to the hospital. Where does the time go - I still remember when he used to fit in the palms of your hands and now you are lucky if you can get him to sit still for more than a minute.
The last time I saw Kadin was a good 4 months ago when he was in London with the rest of the family. It is astonishing to how much he has changed. I honestly believe that if it were not for Skype, I would not recognise the young man (and vice versa - I doubt that he would scream with glee "Tini Foi" when I walked through the door, but you never know with the memory that this boy has). I am grateful for the world of Skype and video chatting. This is another nudge for those of you who don't already have it...I suggest you download the application. It is a great and free way to keep in touch. If you can time it well, it is a lovely weekend afternoon treat (well for me, for y'all in the States its morning time, which probably means most of you are sleeping).
That Friday I did what I normal do every trip - had an everything bagel toasted with cream cheese from Daniels and then went to get my haircut. I really ought to find a place in London to get my haircut, cause it is down right expensive to fly back every time I need a haircut ;-)
Later on I went to meet up with my brother for lunch. I know what you are thinking - isn't that the last day of the trip tradition. Well yes you are right, but this trip was a bit different than the ones in the past so it was time to changes things up a bit. After lunch I ran a couple of errands including going to the NYC Marathon Expo. I could not not go, as hard as it was - I wanted to see what was supposed to be my Expo. I will share details of the in a special NYC Marathon post to be published soon - fingers crossed ;-)
Later that evening, Kadin went trick-o-treating for the first time. He was absolutely the cutest button ever walking through the halls of the apartment building in his Cat in the Hat costume carrying his bucket. I should have actually recorded it, cause hearing him say "Happy Halloween" was adorable. i cannot believe how much this kid talks already. Just over night and his is a mini-person. Unbelievable I tell you...
That evening, I met up with my friends for Mexican food and margaritas (virgin for me as I am off the booze). It was a delight to catch up with my friends. There are some people in your lives, that regardless of the time that has passed, you can just pick up where you left off. It is great. Doesn't matter that it had been 5 months since I'd seen them, I walked into the restaurant and sat at the table as if it were the old days. Just proves that no matter where you are, how much you change there are some things, some people that never change. So whether it is a move from Nisky to Boston, Boston back to Nisky, Nisky to NYC, or NYC to London....there are people that you meet along the way that will always be apart of your life.
Saturday, aka Halloween, was all about Sir Kadin's 2nd birthday party at the Children's Museum on the UWS. As we drove to the neighborhood, I was pleased to know that my 66 weeks away did not alter my memory of the neighborhood and the direction of the streets. I will always cherish the memories of travelling up to the UWS for Sunday dinner at Jacques-Imos (which sadly was replaced by Shake Shack), drinks at the Dead Poet (where I still have my Guinness card), dancing on the bar at Brother Jimmy's (still wear the t-shirt for being a sport), watching the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004, brunch at EJ's Luncheonette...let's just say there are a ton of fond places and memories of that neighborhood.
As the official photographer of the birthday party, I had the sincere pleasure of spending 3 hours doing what I love the most; taking photos. Equipped with 3 cameras I captured Kadin's 2nd birthday party, this turned into a documentation of Kadin's every step rather than a full account of the birthday party and the people that attended, but that it what you get when you put the "obsessed" aunt in charge. Cannot wait until next year!!! Call it what you want, but I am so incredibly happy when I am behind my camera. There is a sense of peace and delight that I have when I see the world through my camera lens. The only other activity to soothe my heart is running and cooking. Hmmm, if there was only a way to combine all of these "passions" in life. Wonder if RW or NYRR are looking for someone. How ideal would that be....sorry I am getting off topic here day-dreaming. The thought of it though does bring a smile to my face. I have dreamed of leaving the office space to pursue something like this, maybe this is the chance to explore. Stay tuned for what steps I make next :-)
I have to admit, being back in NYC and amongst my family is rather comforting. It is hard to believe sometimes that I have moved away. Sometimes I wish I did not move away - especially now that I have been introduced to the world of ROCK BAND. That evening after everyone left, Jamila, Bhai and I played a few songs on Rock Band. I started with the drums (as I knew from Guitar Hero that I am not skilled with the guitar), and later was persuaded to take the mic. I will the give the family credit, the logic was there. If I could sing at their wedding in front of over 150 people, then surely I should be able to sing a Bon Jovi or Journey song. Hahaha, they could not have been more wrong....let's just say there is a reason why I do not sing karaoke. I think my brother still shivers from my shrieking voice as I tried to hit the high notes.
The next day was all about the marathon, but I will save that for the special entry.
Hope you all are well. I miss you and love you more.
xx
T
2 comments:
Your closeness with your family is so inspiring. I need to be a better, daughter, granddaughter, and auntie!
i'm sorry we missed you! it's been an absolutely insane few weeks. so when you check your stats, notice who's reading from connecticut. (no more new jersey!)
Post a Comment