On Monday, I spent the day walking/shopping in Midtown with Mom. We strolled uptown on Fifth stopping of course at Best Buy. That store is just lovely... I believe I've even said that I would want to have Best Buy for my wedding registry. That said, it was rather a strange feeling to walk in and out of Best Buy without buying one single CD/DVD/camera stuff/computer stuff or something else completely unnecessary. From there and after making several unsuccessful shopping stops, we then made our way over to le Pain Quotidien to meet up with my friend TK. TK and I met June 2008 at the NYRR's Meet and Greet session with the US Women's Olympic marathon team. We bonded over not only our passion for running, but our appreciated and admiration of the runners in our sport. Running is a unique sport in that 80% of the participants do not actually follow the sport. Over the months, TK and I have kept in touch and "watched" various marathons together. It is nice knowing that there is someone out there that understands you and the world of running. TK - it was pleasure catching up in person and I am glad we got to have lunch together. Thank you!
While on this side of the pond, I also had the opportunity of catching up with some other close friends that I have not seen in over a year. On Tuesday, I stopped into the office briefly to meet up with a friend of mine before heading to his place in NJ. Before dinner, we made a stop in Hoboken to catch up on things. I am lucky that I still get to see LC when he makes his visits to London. He is one of those guys that know how to rationally put things into perspective. I am extremely thankful to have the ability to work with him and especially to be friends with him and his wife. Later that night, we walked over to Jersey City to and I spent the evening catching up with him and his family. It was a wonderful evening with good friends and amazing food - even got to catch up on SYTYCD! Santina I am glad that we got to have our "date night", it has been a while since we've had one so am pleased that we got a chance to catch up. Thank you very much for a lovely evening and many congrats on the young sir to come!
That Wednesday, I had the delight of Catlin-Sevak reunion back in my hometown of Niskayuna. I grew up with the Catlins living next door. For 20+ years our families have been apart of each other's lives. I've travelled to PA for family reunions, we've done day trips to Hunter Mt, Bromley Mt, the Great Escape. When I went to uni, Greg was there to make sure my mom made it back with "minimal tears". Matt has learned to play rumi with Abhai, and Jolan and I have shared many memories making sugar drop cookies, pancakes at hers and laughing under bedroom tents at mine. Years have gone by and yeah we have not always kept in touch, but we've always cared for one another and when it is possible we get together to remember the good days. When we are together it is doesn't matter what you do, what car you drive, how many bedrooms your house has, it is about spending time with family friends.

Continuing on those lines, while home I also caught up with my middle-school friend Jackie. Since the age 12, Jackie and I were always dear friend and we grew closer together as we got older. We've enjoyed numerous trips to Saratoga for coffee at uncommon ground and grocery shopping, Proms, dances, morning rides to school, sitting outside the library during lunch, NYE at Ashley's, the list can go on and on. It is largely because of Jackie that I decided to apply to BU and I couldn't be more thankful to have gone to college there. When we both moved back to the Nisky area, Jackie and I fell back in touch and again it was through her and the Squire that I got my job at the NYS Comptrollers office. I am happy that time has not changed our friendship. I wish we lived closer together, but thanks to email and facebook we are still able to be apart of each other's lives.
Being home was great and just what I needed - I think. As the saying goes, "there is no place like home!" - how true. It makes you wonder though, what if I did not move to NYC, to London. What if I decided to go to University of Albany for my undergrad as well as grad? Would my life be different? Would I own my own place with a lawn et all? Would I be married? With kids? Being home certainly makes you play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game. That said, despite everything that is going on, I would not want to risk not having the experience of moving to NYC or London or going away to Boston U. Without those experiences I may not be where I am today, may not have had the chance to go skiing in the Alps, swimming in the Virgin Islands, running in Austria, biking in Italy, shopping in Paris, or drinking in Germany. As for owning a place, getting married, and having kids - all that will come when the time is ready and I have a feeling that time will be soon. May not be how I planned for things to happen when I was 18, but I will get there.
Saturday night before leaving for London, my brother and sister treated my girls and I to dinner at Pete's Tavern (established in 1864 this place is the oldest continually running bar/restaurant in NYC). It was a new place for all of us and I must say it was rather nice. I would not recommend the New England Clam Chowder, but the rest of the food was tasty. Later the girls and I went to the Wharf where we were greeted by the owners. The Wharf is my Cheers bar - a place where everybody knows my name and the first question is, "Are you back?" followed by "How long are you in town for?" Being away from my girls is hard, but I am happy for the times that we have together. There is just nothing like it. I am looking forward to the 4th annual WVA Ski Trip in February!!!
To everyone else, I hope you are well. If you are wondering, I am well. I had a couple of episodes while I was away, but I am able to handle them. Just need to make sure that I don't do anything that is going to get my heart rate going - that should be easy. Haha.
Miss you all and love you more
xx
T
No comments:
Post a Comment