07 March 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 85

When I was growing up, anything that my brother and I wanted to eat - my mom would do her best to cook it for us. Whether it was our desire for Chinese, Mexican, Italian, or even sushi, Mom would learn and make it for us. Oh Monday night, I attempted to do the same. I took on the challenge to make French Onion soup. There used to be this place up in Vermont that my Mom and I would go to for lunch (more often than not it was a school day excursion). It was this small split level restaurant behind a pottery shop with fireplaces, all wood decor, and the most amasing french onion soup. Ever since I had it there, I have loved this soup. The only other place that I had amasing French Onion soup was at the Pancake bakery in Amsterdam. Oh I wish I could go back there for some more :-)

In September 1888, Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh painted the Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum (aka The Cafe Terrace at Night). In December 2003, I received my own cafe terrace at night. 4 1/2 year later in July 2008, the kind movers "borrowed" this gift. 1 1/2 years after that in March 2010, I received a second painting from this great artist and treasured friend.

I don't know what it is about this painting, but this painting has a special spot in my heart. I don't think it has anything to do with the Van Gogh version anymore. I am rather partial to the Peter version. There is a kindness behind this painting and means the world. I am gutted that I am no longer the keeper of the first painting, but I will cherish this painting. Thank you Mike for the lovely surprise!! And yes, when I decide to move again I will not entrust movers with this canvas - it will be shipped to the destination or back to the painter himself for safe keeping.

This week has been a pretty interesting week at work. We have gone into family mode at work throwing all the resources we have (which honestly speaking are not many) onto each of our clients. I felt like I was Junior again in SMG in the midst of our CORE projects. The week saw 0400 night followed by a full day Saturday session. I would love to say that the worse is over, but I have a feeling this is only the beginning :-)


This weekend I had my first visitor in 2010. Lauren, a friend from NYC in town, was in London for work during the week, but over the weekend we had the opportunity to catch up. Lauren and I used to be concert buddies in New York - seeing Martina McBride at Radio City Music Hall, Alison Krauss and Union Station at the Beacon Theatre, and Sugarland & Little Big Town at the Nokia theatre.

It was nice to catch up with Lauren in London. It had been a while since her and I had one-on-one time to just chat. We met up on Friday with drinks at Gordon's and then some nibbles at the Trafalgar Square hotel. On Saturday, when I was finished with work, we met up at the National Portrait Gallery for afternoon tea. The restaurant at the top of the NPG is quite nice with a spectacular view of Trafalgar Square and the House of Parliament. The rest of the evening was spent shopping on Regent Street, hanging out and dinner at Belgo in Convent Gardens. The day made me realise how much I miss my NYC girls. It was so lovely to see a piece of home in London. The day also made me realise how much my life style has changed since I moved here. It is not just me though, all of the other Americans here feel the same way. We are all settling down - - I would rather stay in and cook a new dish than go out. Sad, but true.

That said, I do enjoy trying a new places in the neighborhood. On Sunday night, the Diamonds and I went to see Alice in Wonderland 3D. This whole trend towards 3D movies is different. I liked Avatar in 3D, but I did not get the same feel from Alice. That said, Alice was a good movie - Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter are brilliant in the movie. After the movie we went for a lite linner at Gastro, a cute french bistro across from the picture house. I walked in and out of Gastro before (well stayed for a hot chocolate and then left), but I am happy the three of us went there. Not only do they have an adorable atmosphere there, but the food is delicious and I am eager to go back. As for the guy that was painting me whilst sitting at the counter - that I could have done without.

Well that is all for me today. Hope you all are well

xoxo

T




No comments: