09 May 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 94

This week started with a Bank Holiday (Monday off). To celebrate, I spent the day...well...having a lazy day. I wish there was more of the Bank Holiday weekend that I could share, but aside from Iron Man 2 and happy hour at Wax Jambu I did not do much of anything. I suppose that is not necessarily a bad thing. I spent the weekend sorting through my photos (and realising that I overbought photos by nearly 300) and enjoying my new purchases from IKEA. I left out the exciting events of my first shopping excursion to IKEA! That place is truly amasing and if I were a home owner (or in a flat that was unfurnished) I would have gone absolutely insane in there. Shockingly, I walked in and out of IKEA without requiring a delivery van. I am the happy owner of a red trash bin, a red cutting board, a red pizza cutter (can you tell that red is my favourite colour?) and jars for sugar. Yes plural; like any good cafe Ista serves over 4 types of coffee with your choice of vanilla syrup and/or 3 types of sugar. Fancy a cup - come on over....Ista is always open!

On Monday, Simone and I went out for an inpromptu dinner to a little Brasillian in Vauxhall. As much as I enjoy planning each evening out in advance, the spur of the moment plans are quite nice too. Here is something you may or may not know about Brasillian foods. Brewing in Brasil dates back to 1830s with the immigration of the Germans. Bohemia is the oldest beer in Brasil starting in 1853. Unlike the US where beers vary from ales to porters to stouts to lagers, in Brasil Pilsners are the variety of choice. An interesting way to drink Brasilian beer. Mix together fresh lime juice and a little salt. Take a sip and keep it in your mouth. Then take a sip of the beer and swallow. Actually that sounds oddly like a Chelada, but with pilsner rather than lager.

Miss Molly introduced me to a new song. I miss discovering new songs with Molly beans. It used to be our thing, but living on the other side of the pond means that I miss out on certain things. A couple of years ago it was Stay by Sugarland. Both of these songs start with the longing for another person and through the music they find their strength. This song is beautiful and I think the lyrics say it all...



Excerpts of FOREVER & ALMOST ALWAYS by Kate Voegele
And just when I believe you've changed for good
Well you go and prove me wrong just like I knew you would
When I've run out of second chances you give me that look
And you're off the hook

Because you're mine forever and almost always
Well I'm fine, just love me when you can
And I'll wait patiently
I'll wake up everyday just hoping that you still care

What am I still doing here?
It's all becoming so clear

You'll be mine forever and almost always
It ain't right to just love me when you can
I won't wait patiently
Or wake up everyday just hoping that you'll still care

Forever and almost always
No, it ain't right to just love me when you can baby
Ain't gonna wait patiently
I won't wake up everyday just hoping that you'll still care

On Saturday, Silas threw his first BBQ of the year. Silas is a master when it comes to the kitchen, the grill and hosting parties. The much anticipated evening including piles of grilled vegetables, cous cous salad, a beet root salad, wings made from scratch, 3 legs of lamb, 2 fillets of salmon (one marinated in brown sugar and another in teriyaki) and a tasting of fine whiskeys, bourbons, and rum. Silas is not much of a sweet-tooth so he leaves the desserts to everyone attending. What was my contribution; 4 batches of gulab jamun made from scratch (aka Sticky Balls as they are now referred to here). Why so many; well let's say that there are friends that have been know to eat 10 sticky balls at a time. With 30 people attending, I needed to make sure there were enough to go around :-)

It was a lovely night catching up with friends, eating more than the belly could handle and laughing so much just so you could eat more. We still may be wearing jumpers and blazers here, but the infamous Silas BBQ officially marks the beginning of spring (and soon enough summer - fingers crossed). This cold weather is really starting to get tiresome. It is the middle of May for crying out loud - I should not be shivering and have a cold nose in my own flat! Yes I could settle that issue if I turned the heat on, but I refuse to have the heat on in the May - it is not right! I suppose I should be please that at least it is sunny outside; that is something isn't it.

Anyway, as it is freezing in my flat, I am going to go bundle up under the covers and warm up. If I am lucky, I will even fall asleep. Let's see ;-)

Hope you all are well and warm!

xoxo

T

No comments: