16 May 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 95

My friend Powers delightfully surprised me with tickets to go see Robin Hood at the Electric. I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to go see the movie there and tired to buy tickets, but was unable to cause the seating chart would not load on my computer. Side topic: there is one thing that I absolutely adore and truly appreciate about the cinema experience here in London is that just like going to the theatre or a concert, you are able to book your seats. Hence, you don't have to waste queuing for an hour before the show :-) I am looking forward to seeing SATC 2 with my NYC girls, but will admit that I am not looking forward to queuing ahead of time. I admit it. I have been spoiled by the velvet or leather seats, the footstools, and enjoying a nice beer and sweet and savory mix of popcorn whilst watching a show. Where was I before I took this side note?

Oh yeah - so Powers had bought tickets to go see Robin Hood at the Electric and was even able to book the leather sofas in the back. Sadly for her (but fortunate for me), she was unable to go and asked if I wanted to take her reservation. I happily accepted and went to the show with Cooks. On Wednesday, I met her in Notting Hill to collect the tickets for the movie and to catch up a bit over dinner. It had been some time since we had the chance to catch up over a "date" so the tickets offered a good opportunity.

The Electric, based in Notting Hill, is one of London's oldest and most prestigious cinemas in operation for nearly 100 years. I went to the Electric restaurant when I first moved to London with SS and his family. Ever since then it has always held a special place in my heart. The electric marked a few other special times for me. I went there with Mom when she visited, and I went there with the Bensons in October to share some special news. I have always wanted to go to the electric to see a movie, but getting seats there are an absolutely nightmare. Lucky for me, Robin Hood worked out!

I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone who has not seen it. What I will say is that if you enjoyed Gladiator, then you will enjoy Robin Hood. Starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blancett, the 2010 version of Robin Hood tells the untold story of Robin Hood. Whereas Kevin Costner in the 1991 version (Robin Hood: King of Thieves) did not attempt the English accent, Russell Crowe attempted a northern English accent. Unlike Gladiator where his accent (from who knows where) stayed constant, in Robin Hood, Russell Crowe takes the audience on a world tour of changing accents from a pseudo northern English to a bit Scottish back to his natural tone. The movie can be a bit slow (couple with the large leather sofa and ottman) meant that a tendency to fall asleep is likely. Ridley Scott does not disappoint though with the fight scenes. They truly are spectacular and make the movie worth seeing.

On Saturday, I went up to Dalston to visit with Powers see her new place. She recently moved from Shad Thames, south London to Dalston which is North East. Seems like the whole gang is moving up there and chances are I will follow suit. It is going to be hard leaving south west London, but will be easier to make pancakes for the gang and will save me from having to travel 40 minutes with mix, syrup, milk and eggs when I have a pancake craving :-)

After taking over Power's kitchen to cook pancakes and catching up a bit, she and I enjoyed the lovely London spring time weather and walked around Angel/Islington for a bit. I was in the mood to go shopping, so we attempted to do so. Instead we ending up buying a bunch of American candy and later stopped for dessert. After roaming around for a bit longer convinced that I could buy something I raised the white flag and gave up. Instead of going home though, I called KV for an impromptu happy hour. We started with a medium pitcher of sangria at Sangria and then went to Cuba Libre on upper street for Margaritas and beers (and some Cuban food later on). It was not the evening or night that I had counted on, but it was just what I needed. It was nice to be out of the house and spending time with good friends in a new neighborhood playing the great game of "Would You Rather" (thank you Powers for that book - it supplied hours of entertainment and sparked philosophical conversation later that evening).

Well, I think that is all for me. I am sure I will remember something else, but for now I bid you all adieu!

Miss you and love you all

xoxo

T

No comments: