06 March 2011

Adventures in London: Issue 137

This week a hundred or so planners of business gathers to design the future in Lisbon, Portugal. Three years ago (roughly this time of the year) we all gather for a similar reason in Monte Carlo. It is a bit of a flip attending this year. Being from the markets you are invited as a guest, this time around worldwide had to actually prepare stuff. Puts a different lens on the conference and what you aim to get out of it. More on that later.

The first day of the conference was a series of presentation from the markets on the best in class work that we have done globally. It was a bit surreal seeing the NY presentation. Actually it was surreal seeing the NY team as a whole as I did not work with anyone from that team. Where did the NY family go?! Have we all officially gone our own separate ways?

For the first evening of activities, a photo scavenger hunt was arranged with various destinations, challenges and opportunities for bonus points. Our team started out strong, but lost steam once the hunger kicked in. We opted instead to make up various photo challenges. Did not earn any points in the competition, but we certainly had loads of fun doing them. In case you were wondering, the photo to the left was part of the photo hunt. 1 point if you take a photo enjoying local drink, 2 points if you get behind a bar, there were 3 points if you danced on the bar...and believe you me I did it. Doesn't take much to convince me to jump on a bar.

After the last day of workshops and meetings, we had our gala dinner. It was a low key evening of awards, spectacular food and good conversation. After dinner, a bunch of us went to the hotel bar to carry on the conversation (and drinking of course). It had been a pretty long day so the notion of going out for a crazy evening was not in my cards....chilling out in the lobby drinking scotch..yup! That was more like it. When I became an old man I have no idea, but I certainly have become one. I am not going to fight it or deny it. I am quite content being an old man who prefer a comfy chair, easy to carry a conversation and a nice scotch and/or port. Add some cheese in there and that is a TOP NIGHT! It was good to see old friends from around the globe and to make new ones. Looking forward to the next conference and rejoining forces!

Since I was in Lisbon for most of the week, the idea of making it a long weekend there seemed like a no-brainer. A friend and I decided to do just that.

On Friday we had a quiet day of site-seeing. I know people don't think it, but conferences are draining. By the time Friday came I was exhausted. We roamed around Lisbon a bit, seeing the sites that we missed on the photo hunt. Lisbon is a rather interesting city. I don't know how to quite explain it really. It is extremely beautiful and full of history. The food is probably not my favourite, but it is a quaint place to visit. I am pleased that I tacked the long weekend onto the conference as I don't know if I would have come otherwise.

On Saturday, after some shopping in the Baixa and coffee we made way to Castelo S.Jorge. This area of town was beautiful! I almost wish we had stayed up in the this area as the restaurants surrounding the area were cute and looked delicious. If you like wine, cheese and cured meats...Lisbon is your city. Any and every restaurant that you go to will treat you to this 'starter'.

Figuring out the food here has been interesting. We've had some good dishes and some not so good dishes. In my attempt to try something exotic and local I tend to mess up. Sometimes, it is best to just pick was looks ordinary.

The castle was nothing like I had seen before. From the English castles that I have seen, once you've seen one, you've seen them all (I realise I am blanketing in this statement). Castelo S.Jorge was something else. It is a beautiful, peaceful and serene grounds. There is not much to see around the castle itself, but walking around the grounds is well worth it. Had we known, we would have brought a packed lunch and had a picnic like some of the other families seemed to be doing. What a way to spend a Saturday huh? We discovered a little courtyard with this guy playing classical guitar. Because of the acoustics in the yard the sound filled the air. We chilled out for a bit watching him and soaking up the serenity of the moment. I wish there was a way to bottle up the moment in time, but sadly that is not possible (yet).

They say when in Rome, do as the Romans would. Well when in PORTugal...once must clearly drink port! After a wicked peacock siting and lunch at Pastel de Belem (highly recommend) we went to a off the beaten path Port and Wine place. I was not really in the mood to drink, but the 'port flight' sign outdoors made it a no-brainer.

During my last visit to NYC, Joseph and I talked about port. It was the one thing that neither of us knew much about. After this tasting and thanks to a brilliant port sommelier I now know about the differences between port wines. What makes a ruby? Why is different from a tawny? What does vintage port actually mean? All these answers... I can tell you....but will I?

Ruby and tawny are both types of port wine. What makes them different is the time spent in casks aging prior to its blending or bottling. Ruby port is young, spending only a few years aging in the cast. The colour itself is quite dark - you could even say ruby in colour and it sweet and fruity to taste. Tawny port on the other hand has been aged longer (10 - 30 years). As port matures, the colour fades and as such the colour of tawny is brownish. Compared to ruby, tawny ports are less sweet, but are deeper and more complex in characteristics. Vintage port is port wine made from grapes from a declared vintage year. The port is aged in cast for 2-3 years and then bottled. It can stay bottled for a number of years until it has reach 'appropriate drinking age.' Don't you feel better for knowing all this.

Sunday was another relaxed day as we were flying out that day. What helped was the fact that most places are closed on Sundays....that thwarted our site seeing plans. Instead we walked around a bit and then found refuge in a quaint restaurant called Cafe Nicola. Since we were not in a hurry we decided to enjoy a very Portuguese lunch which meant that is lasted for 2+ hours. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon if you ask me.



It was just the way to wrap up an amasing week and weekend away from London. I did not know what to think of Lisbon at first, but the city has grown on me. I have had some great memories here that I will cherish. Not racing to come back, but will make sure I come back in 10 years ;-)

Hope you all are well and enjoying the sunshine wherever you are.

Miss you all dearly and love you more.

xx

T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yor photos of portugal are beautiful. I have heard many wonderful things about it, how cool that you got to experience on the company dime!

Tea Knee said...

Portugal was lovely...a definite must go if you are in the area.