Oh wait, there is...will try to be brief, but cannot promise anything. It is Kr after all - - staying with me - - with me...oh I better get started.
When I was the dear age of 17, Kr and I met outside the class of 17 at Cornell U. On 17 Mar, she came to London for a 12 day visit. It would have been better if it was a 17 day visit, but we cannot have it all! So what brought her to London? Two words... manuscripts and a magnify glass. That was three words..oops ;-)
Thursday night we had a mini St Patty's celebration with friends. I have come to realise that St Patty's is not as fun when you cannot drink given the purpose of St Patty's day for Yanks is an excuse to drink. After a couple of lime and sodas and a cider for Kr, we went to Hiba, a Lebanese restaurant in Borough.
On Friday, to celebrate Kr's first day at the library and day transcribing manuscripts, we went for a quick drink at Freud's and then met up with Hubbs at Dishoom for dinner. It was a top night of food, laughter and conversation. The embarrassing stories were an evil consequence of introducing friends. That said, it could be worse...thus the joy of having good friends meet up...they know where the line is :-)
On Saturday, we started what can only be described as a complete tasting tour of London. Starting at Borough market for lunch we tried duck confit sandwiches. It was my first time having duck confit sandwiches (normally by the time I get to Borough they are out, but not this time). After Borough market, we travelled up to Baker street to see the Sherlock Holmes museum. The thing to know about me is I LOVE to walk and explore cities that way. Today is a prime example of the grounds we covered. After the museum, we walk to Regent's park and walked around for a bit. We had the brilliant plan to then walk our way to Camden market. I have gone to Camden a few times and each I discover a new stall or corner that is absolutely amazing.
On this trip, Kr and I discovered the GREATEST PLACE EVER - - Chin Chin Laboratorists. Chin Chin is a nitrogen ice cream parlour or rather a mad scientist laboratory. The wife-husband duo own the place which recently opened (makes sense to why my radar never picked up on it before). Unlike most ice cream parlours, there are no tubs of ice cream behind glass. Instead you have flasks of liquids which is then hand-mixed with liquid nitrogen. Kr and I had the black velvet ice cream (Guinness, espresso, chocolate and whiskey) with honey combs and cherry sauce. It was pure heaven in a cup. There is no other way to describe it.
From Chin Chin, we walked over around exploring the stables and the restaurants and antique markets in there. We stopped for mint tea at this little 'souk' style restaurant and followed that up with donuts. You know you have had a good day when it includes duck confit, ice cream and donuts....and we hadn't even gotten to dinner yet. You wouldn't think we would be hungry, but after walking around SoHo and Leicester Square and shopping at HMV we worked up the appetite for Leong's Legend!
On Sunday, I happily introduced Kr to Sunday Roast. Crisis Alert!!! I have become a convert to Sunday roast! Sorry that you have to deal with this every Sunday. Am having a difficult time coming to grips with this. Kr, Hubbs and I went to the Garrison on Bermondsey St. I went to the Garrison when I first moved to London and ever since have been trying to go back ever since. From all the roast that I have had, I would not say that the Garrison was the best, BUT the atmosphere and company made this Sunday Roast truly remarkable. One day I am going to give a whirl at making Sunday roast. Let's see how its done and if I can re-create. I am keen to learn how to make Yorkshire pudding.
From there we went to the NPG to see the Tudor exhibit. I wish I could have taken a picture of Kr when she saw the Anne Boleyn painting. It was during that exhibit that I finally pieced together the wives of Henry VIII and that glimpse of English history. It takes me a while to understand things, especially when its history related.
To celebrate our Tudor's exhibit experience and things in general we went to the NPG cafe on the top floor for afternoon tea with rose champagne. That evening for dinner I made pani puri and fish fry...there is nothing like PP to close a wonderful week!
Hope you all have had a great week exploring whatever town you are living in. Never stop exploring where you live. No matter how long you've been there, there is always something new to be seen.
xx
T
When I was the dear age of 17, Kr and I met outside the class of 17 at Cornell U. On 17 Mar, she came to London for a 12 day visit. It would have been better if it was a 17 day visit, but we cannot have it all! So what brought her to London? Two words... manuscripts and a magnify glass. That was three words..oops ;-)
On Friday, to celebrate Kr's first day at the library and day transcribing manuscripts, we went for a quick drink at Freud's and then met up with Hubbs at Dishoom for dinner. It was a top night of food, laughter and conversation. The embarrassing stories were an evil consequence of introducing friends. That said, it could be worse...thus the joy of having good friends meet up...they know where the line is :-)
From Chin Chin, we walked over around exploring the stables and the restaurants and antique markets in there. We stopped for mint tea at this little 'souk' style restaurant and followed that up with donuts. You know you have had a good day when it includes duck confit, ice cream and donuts....and we hadn't even gotten to dinner yet. You wouldn't think we would be hungry, but after walking around SoHo and Leicester Square and shopping at HMV we worked up the appetite for Leong's Legend!
To celebrate our Tudor's exhibit experience and things in general we went to the NPG cafe on the top floor for afternoon tea with rose champagne. That evening for dinner I made pani puri and fish fry...there is nothing like PP to close a wonderful week!
Hope you all have had a great week exploring whatever town you are living in. Never stop exploring where you live. No matter how long you've been there, there is always something new to be seen.
xx
T
4 comments:
omg I totally have to go to that Chin Chin ice cream place the next time I'm in London... maybe in 2013...!
I am shocked that they don't have one in NYC - - seems like a no brainer really
So in June, it will be Chin Chin on our plan. What say??
Just tell me when and consider it done Sunil Mama
Post a Comment