Keen to finally ditch the crutches, I went to James & Son (around the corner from the office) and purchased myself a walking stick. Walking in that store I definitely had the temptation for a fancy one, but after seeing the price tag, I went for a basic walking stick to support me. Walking sticks are certainly designed for 'the old man' as they had to cut mine by a good 10 inches. Took a couple of resizing, but eventually I had myself a nice walking stick. Having this also meant that I am able to travel on the tube. It is a new era for me. I still take the bus to work, but I take the tube on the way back. I am not going to lie I did not miss the tube....Covent Garden station is way too crowded and there is no escaping the tourist and crowds.

To celebrate my new purchase, I met up with Smith and Hubbs at what is starting to become my new local The Salisbury. It was a relaxing evening chit chatting with mates and dear ones over a scotch and a bison burger (sound like a good time - - it was)
The joys of the week continued with adding another new dish to the list. It was nothing major, but getting in touch with my inner Jew and made potato pancakes with smoked salmon and spinach leaves. It was a basic dinner, but it was easy and easy is what I was going for. It was certainly a good way to counteract the heavy meal the night before.

Little Wib introduced us to Bacon Dip (bacon, cream cheese, etc in a bread bowl). Remembering the hit bacon dip was at the bank holiday BBQ, when the Sainsbury delivery came I apparently decided to throw our whole order into a bread bowl and call that lunch. What exactly is that on the left? Dish #19 is a seafood stew in a bread bowl: mussels, scallops, bacon, spinach, and zucchini in a cream of mushroom 'soup'. Sounds like a mess, but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, a little less black pepper and I will cook it again. Whether people will eat it again is a whole other question.

On Sunday Hubbs and I went to the Taste of London in Regrent's Park. The Taste of London is essential a festival dedicated to food. The top London restaurants showcase their signature dishes. You walk around with 'crowns' and taste various dishes. It is heaven! Honestly. The dishes that were showcased and the variety of selection that you could go through was out of the world. We really need to plan next year's better as we missed out on desserts. We did however attend a champagne tasting session which was about pairing champagnes with different types of food. I've had scotch pairing, beer pairing (i.e. with hot wings), wine pairing, port pairing, but this was unique. I never thought to pair spicy foods with rose brut champagne. It is so simple, and yet you never think about it.

The afternoon was perfect. Jumping from stall to stall eating and drinking. Swinging by tastings and demonstrations. The highlight of the afternoon was definitely getting to 'meet' Gwyneth Paltrow. She was there promoting her new cook book. I had bought it a couple of weeks back and it is rather good. Wouldn't say it was worth buying it again, but if you desire a copy, we have an extra!
Next year, we will have to read up on the agenda for the festival (though I know we looked online and couldn't find it....not the best for pre-organising) so we can plan ahead. Will also make sure that we go to some of the cooking demonstrations. Those looked fun. In fact, I think taking a cooking class could be fun. Will have to look into this.
Well on that note, I wish you well
xx
T
No comments:
Post a Comment