05 August 2012

Adventures in London: Issue 209

For four years, I have been counting down to the moment that I would get to see Paula Radcliffe to run the 2012 Olympic Marathon (and fingers crossed win an Olympic Gold). The week kicked off with the headline, "Legends Run Forever"! I think the tagline of this ad says it all. The legend that is Paula Radcliffe announced that she will sadly not run in the 2012 Women's Olympic marathon :-( Hearing the PR statement on BBC sports I will admit that my heart did sink and I shed a small tear. What do you mean she was not going to be running on Saturday?! I cannot imagine what she went through to make that decision...must have been the hardest things to decide. She will be missed sincerely, but on a plus side....I can focus now on TEAM USA come Sunday!!!

On Tuesday, I made my second trip to the Olympic Village. It was a bit surreal. I had been to the Village a few months ago to cheer Lou on her race. Even with that experience I was in awe when I entered the village. It is Day 3 of the Olympic Games and I was lucky enough to get tickets for the swimming events in the Olympic Park. It was a brilliant night and so very pleased that I was able to go to the park again during the games. There is no words to describe the beauty of the park, the awe that overwhelms you when you enter the park and walk around. There is a spirit to the park and the vibe that is there is just amazing. I wish this friendliness will last after the games, but I have the sneaking feeling that when the flame leaves for Greece so will the friendliness of the city. 

The AQUA centre was exhilarating. We didn't have the best tickets, but even from where we were you could see all the action and more importantly feel all of the action in the pool. It was a big evening for Team USA. I (shockingly) was dressed in all my American gear and every time a Yank was in the pool I was sure to be screaming and yelling. Got a few stares, I don't think the Germans in front of me thought a lady of my size could make so much noise. They clearly don't know the first thing about Americans - - we are LOUD! 

The Aquatics Centre was filled with emotion Tuesday night. I cannot describe the uncontrollable blanket of emotion and pride that envelopes you..especially when Phelps won his 19th medal. It was incredible. The American National Anthem  played a number of times and with each I cried (aka teared up since I don't actually cry or show emotions). It was an incredible night. I wish I had gotten more tickets to Olympic events, but I am pleased for the swimming tickets. It was such a great and unforgettable night. One that I will cherish and remember always!!! 

Keeping with the Olympic spirit, the theme for this year's company party was Pub Olympics. We participate in games that you were not going to find on BBC.... 'yard of ale drinking', '2 digestive biscuits in a minute challenge', 'how many pickle onions'...and the ultimate favorite - PUB QUIZ. It was a lovely afternoon away from the office to remind you why we all work at Mindshare -- the people. Its the people that make where you work. Its the people that make you smile, want to come in and keep you going. I am happy and so lucky to work with such a great group of people! (PS: I don't know what I am quite doing in this photo. Yes I have an American Flag cape, but who wouldn't want one). 

Finally it came time for the weekend and with it the annual Wibberley summer BBQ.  Unfortunately the theme for this afternoon was our farewell party for Pat. I know what you are thinking, seems like we've had a number of leaving parties for him. Yes you are right, but it just speaks volumes to how much we are going to miss the guy when he moves to Thailand. Mark and Cheryl threw an amazing BBQ -- they certainly never disappoint. The ribs this year were absolute perfection. The entire menu; bacon bowl, bacon covered peppers, bake beans, pulled pork, salads....PERFECTION! The Wibberley BBQ is truly the event of the summer and an afternoon that I look forward to every year! 


Saturday the weather was beautiful, so it was only fitting that on Sunday it had to pour cats and dogs. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING was going to stop me from going out to see and cheer the women's Olympic Marathon. The morning didn't kick off exactly as I would have wanted or expected, but thankfully everything worked out for the best. If I had missed the marathon I don't think I could have forgiven the situation. I have come to learn recently that there are a few things that I find unforgivable and I don't forget. Thankfully however, the Women's Olympic Marathon was not one of them :-)

The great part about the Olympic course what that unlike the London marathon, the Olympic course gave spectators the chance to see the runners go by 3-4 times (depending on which side of town you were on). That also meant you had 3-4 (4 for me cause I wanted the max viewing option) to capture the runners as went by. It was pure heaven!! I got to see, cheer and take photos of all the Olympian runners including, but not limited to Shalane Flanagan & Kara Goucher. It would have been even more amazing if like 2008 I had the chance to meet them in person for a chat, but being there in person whilst they ran the marathon on Sunday was too much for words. Team USA did all of us proud! Leading the race in the beginning, the dynamic duo finished 10th and 11th :-) They ran an incredible race and given that four years ago they were not on the marathon scene I find their race INCREDIBLE!

With the rain and drama in the morning, Sunday had the recipe for disaster. I am so pleased that the ran came out and it turned into an amazing day with friends!

Ms Kerstin, thank you so much for being my guardian angel and bringing me a poncho. When I left the house I had one thing on my mind, photographing the marathon. Was definitely not prepared for the rain. Thank you again, for the poncho so Diem and I did not get soaked :-)

Hope you all are well. Miss you all more than words

xx

T


No comments: