Moving when you are feeling 100% is hard enough, moving flats when you have a cold is pure torture. My new flat wasn't ready yet (was negotiating the last final details and the landlord was doing some rennovations) so I went to stay at a friend's for the week. In hindsight, it was a really nice to have that week with KV. It was a chilled, no pressure, no check-in kinda week and just what I needed to get my head on straight. The only bit of excitement that we had was me coming back to the flat to be greeted by a homeless guy sleeping in her doorway. I didn't want to wake (or go near the guy), so we called the police. It was an interesting couple of hours waiting for them to arrive...in summary we had a guy with a bag, foxes, random pavement chit chat, mistaken prostitutes, honker's ale. You cannot make this stuff up.
Saturday was moving day. The day almost went without a hitch. I had the day planned out by the minute and could not afford any deviations. Plan was to pick up the keys, drop off the bags and then head to the old flat to finish packing before the Man with a Van came to move me. Even scheduled time to swing by the storage unit. I was slightly nervous when there was a hiccup on the first leg. The flat was not ready yet!!! The Gas Inspector had not come yet, so the keys could not be released. I couldn't afford things to go wrong, so arranged for the keys to be delivered at the old flat. Thankfully, packing the rest of the old flat did not take the full allotted time so finished just in the nick of time when the Van Man came. It was all surreal. I still couldn't believe that I was leaving N4, I was leaving such great memories behind. When did this all happen? Where was I when this all happened. I got a bit emotional leaving the place. It was going to be my last time ever in that flat. There was no going back now.
After what seemed like a lifetime, the move was over. The boxes were unloaded (I was sure to make sure everything was packed and unpacked from the car, wasn't going to loose anything in the move). And like that I was alone in the new place surrounded by a sea of boxes.
Goes without saying that the rest of the weekend went into unpacking and setting up the flat. Similar to 40 Park, and 13 Houghton I was rather quick to unpack and set the flat up. I cannot stand having boxes everywhere. Everything needs to be put in its place. I am sure like every other flat I have lived in, there will be that one box that next gets unpacked as there is no place for it. Let's see what that box will be in this flat :-)
On that great moving story, I am off. Miss you all
xx
T


No comments:
Post a Comment