15 May 2011

Adventures in London: Issue 147

This week I have been 50/50 WFH and working from the office. I have had to adjust my hours slightly to avoid the traffic times. It has not been easy these past couple of weeks of adjusting from immobility to full-time. Thinking back, I maybe should have eased into things. You don't realise how much energy is diverted to recovery and healing...i realise all that now. Work has been really supportive with travelling to work (that said it has been a rather expensive week of commuting).

On Thursday we were delighted with a mini Ellie Goulding concert. It was a nice little change up and afternoon delight...nothing like a live concert to spruce up the day :-)

This week to cheer me up a bit, I was treated to a lovely family visit from my uncle and aunt from India. Okay...the trip was planned already and was supposed to be a pre-wedding reunion in London, but since I was no longer going to the Austin wedding this was the closest I was going to get to the official family reunion.

It has not been easy dealing with this broken ankle. I feel like I am missing out on so much...in particular I know I am going to be missing out on this upcoming wedding in Austin. I was really looking forward to seeing my family in NYC as well as Austin. I think this is the longest I have gone since moving here without going home so definitely missing the mom, bro, sis and baby Kadin!

To commemorate their visit and kick off their London stay we went to dinner at Bam-Bou, a Chinese, Thai, French Vietnamese food. Leaving aside the two story stair climb we had to undergo to get to our table, the food was out of this world. There was a lamb shank curry that I could have taken a bath in. Okay perhaps not literally, but you get what I mean.

On Sunday we met up again for a great Brown's lunch. Brown's is a classic for Neil Mama and I so it was great to introduce Aarti Mami to 'our place'. The ankle has gotten in the way of going around London, but on Sunday I was determined to show London to my family. We couldn't go too far, but I did introduce them to Covent Garden and more importantly Candy Cakes. Candy Cakes is a cute cupcake shop with a few locations around the Covent Garden area. It is heaven!! No other way to put.

From having a month of inactiveness, I have certainly made up for it this week. In addition to a mini-concert and family visit it also included Hanna (the movie starring Eric Bana & Cate Blanchett). What a crazy film! I cannot go into my thoughts on the movie except that I wish I was Hanna somethings ;-) Plot is a little interesting, but the performances are great so would definitely go and see it.

On Saturday I finally went to see Chicago! I have been wanting to see this musical for years; probably since I moved to NYC and would walk by the Ambassador theatre everyday to work. We were supposed to the week of my surgery, but we postponed the tickets to a date when I would not be in a hospital bed :-) It was certainly worth the wait! What a great show! I thought I was going to be tainted watching the movie first, but nope. It was a brilliant casted and performed show!! Definitely had all the jazz to it ;-)

You know what makes a top night for me?! Would it be a visit to the theatre? The cinema? Or perhaps eating at a new restaurant? All those guesses would be normally true, but in this case...the answer is going to the arcade! The evening was filled with air hockey (air english football actually), shooting games, and driving games. It definitely makes me want to purchase a gaming console. I miss having my Artari/Sega/PS2. Okay, yes I do have them, but cannot use them since the UK has a different video format from the US. Gotta love the battle between PAL and NTSC...joys.

It has been a busy and lovely week. I am not yet mobile, but I made the most of the week. It is getting easier moving around with the boot and crutches. That does not mean however that I am not counting and looking forward to the day I can fully walk.

Well until that day

xx

T

No comments: