
The week started with my Dad's 69th birthday. To celebrate the day I made a new dish. If Dad were actually here I don't reckon this would have been a favourite dish, but it was a gamble (that did not fully pay off). For dinner we had curried duck stir fry with snow peas, baby corn and sprouts served with mashed potatoes (curried of course).
You know, I remember only celebrating one birthday with my Dad around and that was my 6th birthday in Niskayuna with my Dad around. I had a Love-A-Lot Carebear cake that I insisted I had to have a love Mom she made and decorated one for me. Is that correct? Or did I have a cookie monster cake? Can anyone remind me which one it was? Actually come to think of it, it was Cookie Monster and our neighbour made me each the entire head of the Cookie Monster -- those were the day when I ate b-day cake ;-)

The rest of the week was spent getting ready for the upcoming NYC trip. It has been months since I have been back home so I am rather looking forward to eating good ole American food, catching up with friends and seeing my family. I have my itinerary all finished and finalised with the top site to see, restaurant to dine at and places to go. This trip is going to be exciting (and stressful) as for the first time I introducing my London life to my NYC life. It is a strange feeling when your two worlds meet. I remember going through a similar situation when my BU days met my NYC life..when my High School days met NYC life....pretty much it is nerve wrecking when anything meets my NYC life (which ironically stems from my BU life in a very important way).

On Saturday, we flew to NYC. I had forgotten to pack my neck pillow so purchased a very comfortable and not at all embarrassing replacement ;-)
The flight was uneventful...watched a few movies, ate some food...the same. What was different was the entry into NYC. Again, I am so used to arriving in NYC -- it has become routine really. I cannot remember my first visit to NYC. I wish I did though. The memory of the magic you feel when you see the city buildings, the yellow taxi ride, the first time I saw the Empire State Building. It is great seeing that feeling in someone else's eyes. I take NYC for granted, but I realised with this trip that this is a city that so many people cannot wait to come to. I suppose the reverse is true for me. I can still remember the butterflies I felt the first time I came to London. I still get them...when I am in a new village, castle....It is good to see that glimmer in someone else.

After checking into the Palace Hotel, it was off to enjoy the day (and break the jetlag)....it was off to explore the area (and to keep my tradition because we all know how I like my routine), we went to Murray Hill for a pair of manicures, pedicures, some mini-massages and later for me a quick haircut. Post 'Welcome to NYC' pampering, we went to Blockheads. The agenda was initially something else, but what was the harm in a quick drink at Blockheads?! Oh boy have they changed their menu...the margarita/sangria with an upside down Cornetto bottle is AMAZING!! Post mini-meal and buzzying drink we went to...wait for it...The Wharf for a quick round. It was actually rather touching. A little backstory...I love my port. During my first visit in 2008, I went to the Wharf and the owner came over saying that they did not have a bottle of port but they would go and get one. Apparently he ordered one for me, but I never opened it. 3 years later we opened the bottle and toasted more visits to come. It was a welcome I could never have imagined.

On Sunday, we did what all NYCers do....we BRUNCHED!! Even better, we brunched with y girls. Times have changed since I last brunched with everyone. Debi and Jack have a cute 2 year old, Molly and Jen are in new relationships with two lovely gentlemen, Marija is engaged..times certainly have changed, but the laughs that we have when together are still the same.
It doesn't matter how many weeks or months pass, we always pick up just where we left off. It was great to spend the afternoon with the gang. Not quite used to the NYC drinks and will certainly need to pace myself better next time :-) It was a great afternoon and one certainly beyond words or explanation. Thank you for a great Sunday ladies!!
To everyone planning on visiting NYC and staying at the Palace...the hotel is wonderful, but the room service is crap and not worth the money. Should have kept those concert tickets ;-) SORRY!
Hope you all are well. Miss you all dearly
xx
T
1 comment:
Glad to see you reunited with the brunch girls, and I smiled at the mention of Blockheads.
Post a Comment