The week started with America's birthday...irony of bringing a Brit to celebrate America's independence. The jetlag helped us in kicking off the day with take-a-way breakfast from Bouchon. We intended to eat at Tiffany's, but a few other cheesy tourist beat us to the punch, so we consumed our lattes and croissants in Trump Tower.
After breakfast, it was off to FINALLY visit the Empire State Building. FINALLY!!! It was wicked. I lived in NYC for nearly 5 years, visited numerous years and yet never seemed to make a visit to the ESB! This visit it was in the agenda and I was determined to see NYC from the 86th floor. It was truly taking a step back and looking at my memories from an arial view...there are no words to describe the view and experience.



After the ESB, we headed to the Flat Iron district for Jamba Juice and Mexican. Again, a new experience, we ate on the tables in the road. Wonder why on earth they were there and why anyone would eat there and then I found myself enjoying the grand view of the ESB, Madison Sq Park and the Flat Iron.













From there it was back to the hotel for a quick change and then it was off to NJ for dinner and the viewing of the Macy's 4th of July fireworks show at my dear friends Santina and LC. It had been ages since I had seen the two of them. We used to see one another when I came back to NYC, but the last couple of trips did not allow for it. I was pleased that this visit allowed for a chance to catch up -- a proper catch up with the full family.


It was so very lovely to see not only Santina and LC, but to spend some time with Eva and meet Luca. It is amazing to look back on the years that we have known each other and recount the memories we have shared over the last 6 years.....such a lucky gal to have great friends like them in my life.


On Tuesday whilst everyone went back to work, we did the tourist thing...we took a 'Hop On- Hop Off' bus tour. It was extremely surreal taking one of these in a city I lived in for nearly 5 years. We started the tour in Times Square and headed downtown....I was not entirely impressed with the commentary so I decided to give my own tour notes...which I personally found entertaining and informative (don't know about the other passengers, but I had fun).
We stopped off in SoHo for lunch and a walk around. I was a bit taken back and unimpressed with my tour guide ability. Before I left I used to spend most of my free time in SoHo area, but I completely lost my barring this visit. It is sad how quickly you can forget things....forgot the names of the restaurants I used to go to, the shops, and general orientation of which direction to walk. Thankfully it all came back!! Just in time for a eating tour of SoHo, chinatown, little italy....there is not enough time nor a big enough stomach to eat your way through NYC.



Months can go by, years even and there are things you are naturally going to forget. It has been nearly 10 years and there are somethings the mind cannot forget.....nor should it. Visiting Ground Zero and seeing the Freedom Tower sent chills down my spine. I couldn't handle being there, the whole area is filled with....I don't know the words for it.
This trip has really been about doing all the things in NYC that I never got the chance to do. When my friends from the UK visit NYC I am always envious of all the 'tourist' things they do. It has been absolutely BRILLIANT to play tourist this visit. It's been a real mixture of tourist and local. On Wednesday we made a visit to Central Park. I forgot how massive this park is....blimey. Rather than attempting to walk the park, we opted for a boat ride. Who knew that you could spend a full hour rowing and not double-back on yourself. Truly incredible.
In the evening we had arranged for a sunset sail boat ride around the Statue of Liberty. Before sailing off, we experienced a true American classic -- a flight of beer and buffalo wings at the Chelsea Piers Brewery. Have had some great memories here and glad to have added another.
The sail ride was absolutely brilliant. There is nothing like drinking Champagne and awing at the magnificent view of Lady Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. The gusty winds that made it feel like the sail boat was going to top over... well that was less than fun...but definitely added to the experience.
I am getting tired of writing now and eager to publish this post so I am going to leave you with photos from the rest of the week. Sometimes a pictures says it all.....

























1 comment:
renee made me do one of those bus tours too. in february. on the top level. so very cold. but it was fun! and: BOUCHON! oh the butter.
Post a Comment