15 January 2012

Adventures in London: Issue 180

It been a full week of work this week. Still not completely over my cold, but couldn't bear staying away from work any longer. There is something fundamentally wrong with that statement, but it is true. Work is a good place to come to lately even with the climate of our industry. It is going to be an interesting year (and I mean that in both the English and American sense), so the important thing is to enjoy each day whilst we can. This the year of #makingitcount...so let's do it!

In spirits to make every day as productive as it can be in both a work and personal way, one of my resolutions is to be more on top of my non-work to-do list (I tend to be rather slack on this, but not this year!) On Monday, as many already know, I went to the post office to take my photo for my driver license (yes, going to learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road...even worse with a manual car). Left without getting my photo taken, but did send out a few post cards to those who sent me their mailing details making an effort at keeping in touch (the old fashion way).

The highlight of my week was definitely the weekend, but before I get to that. On Thursday a bunch of us went for a few pints at the local pub to catch up on our Christmas holidays and how 2012 was going thus far. January is a stinky month...doesn't help that people are on about how depressing the month is. You cannot harp on about such stuff. Just get on with it. A depressing notion is the fact that I have switched to half pints instead of full pints for weekday drinking. I just cannot do it any more. I wish I could, but anything more than 2 pints and I am rubbish the next morning. The other sad realisation (though I always knew it) is that although "Eating in Cheating"...I need to cheat when drinking. On the joys of getting older :)

My new kick lately has been ales and this week I have added two more to my list. Deuchars and Hobgoblin! If you come across either of these two ales, they are a must try.

And now for the weekend!

I have never wished that I was in Houston more than I have this weekend. For the first time in US history, then men's and women's olympic marathon trials were hosted in the same city. I have been looking forward to this day for some time and was looking forward to a weekend of live streaming. Sadly NBC decided not to stream the race online and I had to "watch" the race via twitter and Runner's World live chats.

I was "torn" as to who to cheer for. I say torn, cause not matter the outcome, I would have been pumped for both the women's team. That said, I was rather nervous and shocked by the results of the race. No Deena Kastor?!?! But that is what I had planned in my little head - - Deena vs Paula on the streets of London! Now that plan has changed to Paula vs Kara, Shalene and Desiree. The question to be answered will be if Shalene or Kara compete at the Track N Field Trials....

This weekend was a weekend of sporting (feels good to being active again). On Saturday, we took our bikes into the shop to have them looked at (as the break weren't quite working and the wheel wasn't turning - - minor things). I felt like such a girl when the guy said the reason why was because I had the fork on my bike the wrong way around. DOH! After that shameful visit, we biked back through the woodland park which was absolutely beautiful. There was a small layer of frost on the ground which was utterly beautiful in the sunshine.

Saturday evening, we went to our friends's place for a "Come Dine with Me" style dinner party without the scoring, snooping around or cheeky voice overs. It was an absolute lush evening. Sam and Lou had hosted a GREAT night. I wish I was aware of the portions of the what was in store for us as I felt very ill-prepared. I had read the 5 course menu, but did not think for a second about the size of each course. I should have paced myself and I am sad that I did not as the vension pie was absolutely delicious!! It pained me that I was unable to finish the entire pie, but there was no way I could fit another bit into my mouth. I was tempted to ask for a take-a-way container as eating that on Sunday would have been lovely! Must get the recipe as I am officially adding that dish to the 2012 cooking challenge!

Keeping up the social weekend, on Sunday we went for roast with KV, but not before enduring a 4K walk through the Parkland Walk going from Finsbury Park to Highgate. With some of us thinking of moving back to the States (or over to Thailand), this year is going to be about spending cherish time with those around me. More than that, it is going to be about enjoying London and continually trying to do something different.

Sunday was just that for us. KV, Hubbs and I went for a long scenic walk through the woods up to The Flask in Highgate for roast and a pint (adding Jack Frost - a winter ale - to the list of must tries). The walk there was nice and peaceful, but after a full roast, a couple of pints and a cake pop, the walk back was painful - - literally! We had all eaten way too much, but it was a great way to spend the afternoon and catch up! Looking forward to what we do next. I am sure it will be exciting!

It has been a lovely weekend!!! I hope you all are enjoying January and not letting it get to you! Remember resolutions are meant to give you something to look forward to. They are not mean to add more pressure to you or be so far out of reach that you have broken them already ;-) #MakeItCount!

Miss you all

xx

T




No comments: