14 December 2008

Adventures in London: Issue 21

In comparison to last week, this week has been rather low key. Fortunately I did not need my passport to travel anywhere and thus no encounters with airport security. Sadly no running tours around London (as my legs  still do not like me). This week has been about wrapping up 2008 and getting ready for 2009.  I am looking forward to 2009 and what it has in store. In the last 5 months that I have been living here, I have noticed subtle changes as I have learned to adapt to the new culture around me. Below is a sample list...
  • I have let my taxi days go and now travel via the tube from destination to destination - not only is it the cheaper way to travel, it forces me to come home at a reasonable hour (like Boston, tubes close at midnight)
  • Rather than paying $80 a month for others to work out, I actually work the body beautiful (well excluding this week)
  • I have learned to live in a world without seamlessweb - well it is not a city without, it is here, but I am avoiding opening Pandora's box
  • I have learned what it feels to arrive at work before 0930 and leave before 1830! (guess I should also add that when typing I have also adapted the 24hr clock since everything is formatted like this). 
  • You don't have to hold a dinner party or Superbowl to use your stove - sometimes a dinner for 1 is the perfect excuse to cook. 
  • Girls Aloud is UK's PCD where all band members sing - fashion is still the same, tunes are  similar, but dancing is not up to par to PCD
  • Unpasteurized milk makes a HUGE difference when making cheese - and honestly that is how cheese should be made
  • Tipping is optional, especially when ordering at a bar (unless you are being served) If service is not included then tipping 10-15% on a bill is acceptable practice. 
  • Holidays (aka vacation days) are meant to be taken!
Contrary to the assumption that by moving to London, I would only have more vacation days that would go unused - I am happy to report that I have used all my allocated days for 2008. And for 2009, I have already allocated 14 of my 23 days!! Impressive huh?!? So where exactly am I off to...well let's see! In February I am off to West Virginia for a long weekend (about 90% sure I am going on this trip). In March I am off to Austria for 10 days. And then in May I am off to St. Thomas for my "little" sister's wedding.  March will be an exciting month as not only do I have my Austria trip and my half marathon, but my dear friends from NYC will be visiting.I am so very looking forward to their visit. They are probably some of my older friends that I have. Known KU for 11+ years know and her husband for 5 years. I don't have many people left in my life that I can say that I date that far back with. Re-connected with a few friends that I have known since I was 12 which has been lovely. Post high-school, we did a fair job of keeping in touch, but while I was in grad school we re-connected again. I owe her really for my job at the NYS comptroller's office. And now, 6000 miles apart we have connected again. Some people will always be in your life - no matter.

Back to the adventures in London. Friday night, I hosted my first house party. Come to think of it, I think it was my first house party all together - not counting Superbowl. 13 people filled my little flat in Clapham for a Champagne and Cheese party - where everyone brought their favorite champagne and cheese and we did a tasting.  We definitely had more than enough cheese - in fact I think I can open a little shop with all the leftover cheese in the fridge.  I probably could have avoided making cheese canapes, but you know me - any chance to purchase cheese and I am there. (Sorry Ma champers and wine was thoroughly finished, but I will be sure to get you more for your visit! Which is in 4 days!!!)

Other than that, I have been brushing up on my french.. On Friday I was asked to recite from my french book. Think I did a fair job, but definitely need to work on pronunciation. Good thing my Parisan friends were there to help me out. They suggested that the best way to learn french was to date a french guy. Perhaps after learning french perhaps I should learn italian, celtic, spanish :-)

Have a fun last of week of work all!! The next time we speak I will be officially on break for 2 weeks!!

xx

T

7 comments:

PinkPeep said...

hi, i need you to elaborate on the third bullet point-- sounds like a good story is in there somewhere! :)

PinkPeep said...

by the way, this is liz straebel, haha

Tea Knee said...

haha sadly no - Seamlessweb was the website that I used to order delivery from in NYC. Was rather addicted to it - order breakfast, lunch and dinner from them.

Anaiah and Matt said...

YAY for May!!! Can't wait to see you. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am living proof that INDEED the best way to learn a language is to date a native. I learned Italian... primarily a letto. As it should be.

Scriber's Web said...

Love to read about your exciting adventures. Keep blogging!

Scriber's Web said...

Oh and never ever waste champagne:-)