I am taking a break between helpings of cous cous to write this, so needless to say - I am quite keen to have a second serving. I have thoroughly enjoyed this week in London with Mom. It has been an utter pleasure to tour and see the city with Mom by my side.
This week kicked off with a dinner party with my friend and his family. Home cooked curry was on the menu and boy did we eat! Mom prepared a full indian feast of chicken curry, rajma, paratha, rice, raitu, bataka shak, and baigan burtha. I did my part and made some cheese canapes (my speciality) and papadams.
I was so pleased to have SS and his family over. Last time SS came to my place it was to eat pizza and drink mararitas on the floor of my NYC apartment. It was nice to actually have him and his family over for dinner. Truth be told, they have become my family here in London and have been there every step of the way; I stayed with them before I moved, they were there the day I moved to London and they have been there for me on weekends while I struggled to find my way.
On Tuesday, I took Mom to Oxford Street for some good ole holiday shopping. For the first time this season, it actually felt like Christmas in London. All the stores were decorated in Christmas lights and the streets were PACKED (and you know how much I love crowds) with shoppers and bags :-(
Mom enjoyed herself in the department stores of Selfridges, John Lewis and House of Fraser. They can only be described as the Macy's on 34th street in NYC, but with a gourmet food shop on the ground floor. We did a bit of shopping, but had to call it a night as the crowds were starting to get to me and I could not stand being around people any minute longer.
On Christmas Eve, I took Mom for a tour of Clapham - showed her where I was planning on living (happy to report, she approved of my choice not to live there), the commons, Clapham Old Town and some of the local restaurants. Then we hurried home to get ready for our date with Bond... James Bond! While drinking mulled wine and sitting in velvet seat of the picture house, we watched QoS!
For my first Christmas in London, Mom and I had a relaxing day at home (not really out of choice, but because the tube was closed and we were unable to travel into London). We started the morning with me making pancakes (or what we would call crepes since they have no idea what buttermilk pancakes are). For lunch, we went to a Belgian restaurant for mussels and strawberry beer. For dinner, Mom and I cooked a British Christmas dinner with sprouts, yorkshire pudding, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and homemade mulled wine. It was a quite Christmas, but it was just perfect. HOLD! I take that back! It was missing 3 key details... it would have been perfect if Bhai, Jamila and my dear Kadin were here too (suppose we will have to do Christmas in June when they come to visit). Guess if I was truly nice and not at all naughty, then Santa would have brought them over to London for the holidays.
On Boxing Day (26 Dec), Mom and I went into London to see the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. From there, since the temperature was rather cold, we altered plans and took a detour through SoHo and Regent street for some retail therapy. I was content taking photos of the decorations and the streets rather than shopping, but I was easily convinced to buy some sweaters.
Since the weather started to warm up a bit (went from 0 degree centigrade to 2 degrees centigrade), we made our way through Picadilly Circus to Hyde Park for Winter Wonderland. Hyde Park had been transformed into a German style Christmas market with a Bavarian village style houses serving sausages, dutch pancakes, and of course mulled wine. They had an ice staking rink, a carousel, a roller coaster and a sleigh ride, but we opted not to do any of the attractions as once the sunset so did the temperature. It had been a long day, so we went home for some chicken Thai curry made by yours truly.
I should have known that Mom was not feeling well after she had 3 normal size servings of dinner that night. The next morning, Mom woke up with a typical London cold - cough, lost voice and achy bones. It dawned upon me while I saw mom curled up with my Red Sox blanket on the sofa that I had planned a too hectic of an agenda for her with too many outdoor activities in the cold and windy London weather. After a day of rest and plenty of ginger tea, Mom got all bundled up and went exploring to Covent Gardens and the National Theatre today. She does not have her voice fully back, but she is managing to talk...nothing can ever prevent that ;-) (she did not like me saying that)
Well, my tummy is eager for more cous cous. I had another story to tell you, but guess that will have to wait for another time.
Hope you all had a lovely Christmas break with your family! Do tell - who was nice? And more importantly who was naughty?!
4 comments:
You saw Quantum of Silence twice now? I loved that movie, too.
I am kind of jealous of all the lovely mother-daughter time. You make it sound so enjoyable!
My New Year's resolution: in two words, CLARITY and COURAGE.
Sounds like you gals are having a great time! LOL at the weather warming up. The highs were in 70s here yesterday. What is mulled wine?
What is Mulled Wine? Only the best winter drink ever! Though with 70 degree weather, I doubt you have the need for winter warmers.
Background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine
RECIPE:
*Ingredients:
-One bottle (750 mL) of red wine (suggestions: -Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot)
-One peeled and sliced orange (keep peel to add zest to taste into cooking pot)
-¼ cup of brandy
-8-10 cloves
-2/3 cup honey or sugar
-3 cinnamon sticks
-1 tsp fresh or 2 tsp ground ginger (allspice can be substituted)
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in either a large pot or a slow cooker. Gently warm the ingredients on low to medium heat (avoid boiling), for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure that the honey or sugar has completely dissolved. When the wine is steaming and the ingredients have been well blended it is ready to serve. Ladle into mugs (leave seasonings behind) and enjoy!
I'm jealous of the picture house experience. I'll just have to return, I suppose. The feast sounds delicious, too!
Post a Comment