After getting mom settled (and giving her the wrong guidance to re-entering my complex), I went into the office to attend my first Mindshare WW holiday lunch. Since I was unable to fully enjoy the WW holiday party, I was looking forward to this luncheon. It was a lovely afternoon away from the office filled with wine, pizza, PS2 Sing Star, and secret santa. It is a great concept that they have here and I am glad that we all had some time away from the office to laugh, sing and hangout. Despite the fun time that I was having, I must admit - I was rather keen to head home :-) Later that evening, after coming home (in a well hydrated state) mom and I had a low-key evening as 1) she had just taken the red-eye and 2) it was a work night. We simply had some Thai take-a-way from a local pub.
Friday, Mom travelled into London to take me out to lunch. Since it was my last day in the office for the year, I had to return to finish up some paperwork. After the workday, a few of us tried to go to Gordon's for wine and cheese. As our luck would have it, they were packed. Actually luck has nothing to do with it. Like the Monday night movies in Bryant Park, if you want a table, you have to go there at 3:00p. We tried a couple of other bars, but given the holiday and festive season, they were all standing room only. Thus we went back to the good ole "brain drain" and joined some fellow Mindshare friends for wine and crisp. What was supposed to be a couple of glasses of wine turned into a couple of bottles. Once we were finished with there, we travelled across Waterloo bridge and walked around the Southbank German Style Christmas market. I introduced Mom to the beauty of Gluhwein, we ate our Bratwurst, and we shopped along along the Queen's Walk on the Thames.
Saturday, as I am sure you all can guess, I took Mom to wonders of Borough market for coffee, Raclette, mulled wine, cheese, oysters, pastries, and lychees (clearly the last one was for mom,not me). I had initially planned a full tour around that neighborhood of the churches, monuments, and temples, but the beauty of Borough could not tear us away. Honestly it was bad planning on my part - should have not planned anything else when Borough was on the agenda. That said, Mom and I did have a night walk around the area. From Borough, we walked to Tower Bridge, along Tower Hill (again missing the last entry by a few minutes),
and then made our way to St. Paul's Cathedral. This time, however, we were able to go inside and see one of the masses going on. The inside of that Cathedral is utterly breathtaking. I am so very glad that I was able to witness the beauty of the church and even more pleased that I did so with Mom.
On our way to dinner, we made a stop at the Somerset House on the Strand. We were unable to go to the market, but we did manage to have some Tiffany & Co mulled wine for our walk to Covent Gardens. We were going to walk around a bit more, but after walking for nearly 4 hours the hunger pains started to kick in. Thus, we took a bike rickshaw to Chinatown (tee hee hee) for some xiao long bao (soup dumplings), sticky rice, and crisy duck at Leong's Legend. I am happy to report that unlike the last time I went, I definitely did not leave hungry.
Today, Mom and I travelled to zone 4 to Ealing Road which can only be described as a tasting of Bombay in London. The groceries were definitely much better than Curry Hill in NYC, but I will admit that I do miss Tiffinwala and Pongal. Have yet to find my own version on this side of the pond.
Well, I am off. It is late and my bed is calling (or maybe that is Mom - who knows).
In case I do not speak with you. Happy Chanukah, Happy Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Winter Solstice (hope I did not leave anything out).
Miss you all!
xx
T
2 comments:
Have some nice and spicy chicken curry for me!
What a lovely time, your story almost chases away my holiday blues. My favorite thing about the holidays -- days off mean more time for RUNNING!
Post a Comment