31 December 2008

Adventures in London: New Year's Resolutions

I just came back from my last run in 2008 in the warm 30 degree fahrenheit weather. When it comes to running, I would love to say that I ended the year on a high note , but I cannot say that completely. Granted I am in better shape than I was in this time last year. All that said, in general I feel list I ended 2008 with a strong kick. Today's 5K run, however was just what my heart, body and soul needed to prepare for 2009! 

While running today, I reflected on 2008 and started thinking about hopes for 2009.  2008 was all about "Taking Chances" and you can definitely say that I certainly did. I took my chance, I started my adventure and now 2009 will about "Slow[ing] Me Down" before my life flies by. If you were to ask me what 2009 is going to be about - I can sum it up in one word - BALANCE! This year is all about balanced life, balanced nutrition, balance mindset, balanced training for the marathon.  It will be about training smarter - sounds simple, but this is the one area that I am anything, but smart about. I need to start listening to MY body and learn MY limits and not try to follow the programs of the people around me. 

With that, here are my top 10 resolutions for 2009...
  1. Log no less than 25 running equivalent miles a week (going to the gym at least 3x a week) - this goal will increase and adjust as the year unfolds
  2. Complete reading 12 new books - good thing I have the next 4 already lined up thanks to my family and Santa
  3. See my family at least once a week (via Skype of course)
  4. Continue to expand my cooking ability - adding hopefully 3-4 more dishes to the rotation
  5. Add 2 new country stamps to my VALID passport
  6. Take a photography class
  7. Read a book in french (and not the easy French reader)
  8. Run a sub-2hr half marathon 
  9. Be able to look back on the 26.2 miles of NYC marathon as an experience of a lifetime - a unique way to tour all 5 boroughs of NY. Have the hope of crossing the finish line in under 4 hours (3h45 to be exact), but am going to try to avoid making this a goal as I do not want to look back at NYC as a disappointment. I don't want to feel like I failed, rather I want to be proud that I was able to run a marathon despite what the doctors said. 
  10. I cannot say what my last one is, but some of you (PR this is especially for you) know what it is....
Happy New Year everyone! May this year be filled with grand adventures, treasured friends and a lifetime of memories!

xx

T

4 comments:

Brian said...

These are hardcore. Yes, I will keep you informed of whether I'm going to do the NYC marathon or not, but I won't be able to keep up with you at this rate!

Anonymous said...

3 hours 45 minutes as your goal for your first marathon? Girly you are GUTSY! What are your other race times? Damn if you meet that goal I will be so impressed.

Tea Knee said...

Oh I know I am being completely insane for dreaming to run a 3h45 minute marathon. If it was Chicago or Edinburgh, then maybe - but NYC is known to be a slow marathon. I just have the grand dream to qualify for London in 2010.

In NYC I was running at 9:00 min mile pace. Here I have been training at 8:40 min mile pace. I am currently on target for a 4h10 marathon if we are being utterly honest. Below is are my

Hope A: Cross the finish line without any injuries

Hope B: Finish the marathon without walking

Hope C: Finish in 4h10 +/- 5%

Hope D: Finish in 3h45 to qualify for London 2010

Let's see how it goes, I need to get rid of my leg pains first. As soon as I hit 10-13 miles, my body hates me. The half marathon in March will be a good judging point

Scriber's Web said...

Good luck girl! Don't push yourself too much.