08 August 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 107

It has been a lovely week of post work running in Clapham Common with Mom. We started on Sunday. I would drop her off near the gazebo and then run around in circular pattern to ensure that I would pass her 3-4 times (just to make sure no one mistook her for a child and kidnapped her). Aside from that, there is nothing monumental to report regarding the week. The weekend on the other hand was superb. Kicking things off on Friday, Mom phoned to say that she was throwing a dinner party at the flat for my cousin and his GF. The unexpected evening do tend out to be the most special ones. The four of us had a lovely and cherished evening of chatting, going through photos, telling stories and eating. Mom had cooked up everything in the fridge and we made certain to eat it all (or most of it)

The next day was meant to be an early start of running followed by family time with Darshan and Adeline. Well the Rioja from the night before curtailed the plans for the early morning run, but thankfully I was able to rally for lunch at Greenwich market with D&A. I have been to Greenwich a couple of times, but never went to the market. You would think that once you've been to one market, you been to them all, but NO!. This market is a phenomenal combination of festival of nations food and handcrafted creations. In order to have a stall at the Greenwich market, the items for sale must be handcraft by the owner. I absolutely loved the art work in this market. There was one photographer that I was envious of. He did make me wonder what I could do with my photography. Who knows, maybe I will request a stall there one day :-)

After hanging out in Greenwich, it was off to the Bluewater mall. We learned a healthy lesson on this trip - when in doubt buy a ticket. Just cause you can tap your oyster card in, doesn't mean you can tap out. And to TFL - just because you put up signs and flyers out in January, that doesn't mean they are still up. Bluewater is a massive mall - would put Crossgates 18 to shame. We did a little shopping, a little window shopping and then celebrated happy hour with £4 cocktails. It was a great day of spending time with the family.

Since we were on a roll of touring markets, I figured why not one more. This time it was off to Spitafields. I went to Spitafields for the first time when I came to London for a visit on my way back from Monte Carlo. It was closing when I got there, so never really understood what the market was all about. Over two years later I returned to the market just off of Liverpool street and was in awe of the vastness of the market. The market has a bit of everything, music, food, jewelry, and plenty of clothing stalls. The vibe all around the market is relaxing and inviting. Sounds funny, but I liked the rhythm of the market. Had we not been clock watching, I reckon I would have enjoyed going to each of the stalls. Probably would have bought a donut or two, but did not want to spoil dinner :-)

In the evening we met up with my uncle from India. Normally it is just the two of us that dine together when he is in town, but we thought Mom could come along to. We went to Souk off the seven points. It was endearing to see Mom with her youngest brother. Whatever was going on in life seemed to vanish during that dinner. That dinner was just about sharing some laughs and good food with people that you love sincerely. Thinking about that evening makes me smile. I am looking forward to October when my uncle comes to London again. This time, we won't have to share our rose with anyone :-)

Hope you all are well

xoxo

T

No comments: