Chesterfield is in the east midlands part of Derbyshire. Where exactly does that mean? Well it is north of London - - about a 3 hour train ride from St Pancreas station. It is a small market town dating back to 1204 with a population just over 100K.
I had no idea what to expect from Chesterfield, had heard bits and bobs from Big E and Web, but never really put much thought into what to do in Chesterfield. I wish I had. It is a beautiful little English town filled with pre-war architecture, open markets and greenery as far as the eye can see. This weekend did not lend much for site-seeing, but I would keen to travel up again to tour around the town a bit more. I did accidentally happened to stop in the largest Tesco in England to grab a last minute wedding card! Had I know I would have taken a snap for you all :-)
Chesterfield is most known for the 'crooked' spire of the Church of Saint Mary & All Saints. The spire is twisted 45 degrees and leans 9'6" from the center. There is no known reason why this is the case - - maybe it was the lack of a craftsman in the day, maybe it is the work of Superman. Whatever the case may be, this little twist truly makes the church a thing of beauty not only from the inside, but from the outside as well. It was my first time inside a CoE church. I don't know why, but there is something about churches that I love -- could be the detailed marble or granite carvings or the stain glass windows. I just love the detail and the artwork (though I don't think it meant to be considered artwork per-say).
For most of us, this wedding marked our first English wedding. Granted there were no big hats, but there were a few in the crowd. Don't really know what the hat thing is about, but when I do, I will let you know.
The wedding what in the mid-afternoon. Following the ceremony and covering of the new couple with confetti it was back to the hotel for champagne hour (or hours as it was). This was then followed by some photos and then the wedding dinner started. I say dinner, but it was more a buffet encompassing a craving station with three meats, potatoes (roasted and rosemary), veggies, Yorkshire pudding, sauces, etc. It was like Thanksgiving dinner, but at a wedding. What more could you want - - well maybe a dress that was a tad bit looser ;-)
It was a wonderful day witnessing our dear Big E marry a man that she loves. It was nice to have the 'family' together to share their special day with the happy couple. Just thinking back to Saturday night brings a smile to my face. It was pure and joyful fun. We all truly enjoyed ourselves, dancing, laughing and celebrating the moment. How often do you get to do that?! When you work as hard as we do, all have your own life to live, the moments that we have together are the ones worth cherishing. We are all entering new eras of our lives, so it is important that we enjoy the moments that we have together cause you never know where life is going to take us next.
To the Webs, congratulations! The love you share is truly one that was written in the stars (believe this even more so after hearing about how you two met). I wish you all the best and many happy returns. Together you will be the Webs, but she will always be our Big E!
To everyone else, I hope you are well and smiling. Life is too short not too!
xx
T
No comments:
Post a Comment