31 October 2010

Adventures in London: Issue 119

When I first mentioned to my Aunt that I was moving to London, her response was, "Home will be 7 hrs in either direction." You cannot get any more truth than that statement. Obviously home will always be 12309, but there is a part of me that feels quite at home at 400 020. Only my parents are from here, but growing up I have always referred to visiting India as visiting home. (I know I am a strange ticket....but if you are just coming to that realisation I must say... You are slow). I have been wanting to make a visit to Mumbai for some time now, so I am glad that things worked out and I was able to spend my two week sabbatical with my family. I am going to do a bit of travelling on this visit; not around India, but will take some time to fly to Malaysia to visit with Aashin and Stuty.

There is no need to go through the beginning of this week, as all it involved was counting the sleeps until Mumbai. Granted going away for 2 weeks means that you need to squeeze in 3 weeks of work into one, but what can do you. It has to be done. I am determined NOT to think about work for a second whilst I am here. I just want to shut off and enjoy my visit. Let's see if I can actually do this, as I have already worked a bit this weekend wrapping up some things that I did not get to before leaving. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand....and this is my line. Holidays are meant for you to take a break, relax and alone your body to recover. After every run that one goes on, you allow for recovery time....that is what holidays are to work what recovery days are to long-runs.

I took the red-eye flight from London on Friday night therefore arriving Saturday afternoon. Saturday was spent primarily settling inn and adjusting to the new environment. Mumbai has changed so much in the past 4 years. Each visit, I am impressed by the city's efforts to clean up the streets and infrastructure. The noise of the rickshaws and taxis did bring a smile to my face though. There is just something about the sounds and rhythm of Mumbai that I enjoy. Wouldn't like it anywhere else, but it belongs here. I was rather shocked by how much I remember of Mumbai from my past couple of visits. I even remembered things from when I visited in 1990...shocking that was 20 years ago and yet I remember it. There are some moments the heart never forgets.

My uncle recently moved from Andheri to Church Gate in SoBo (South Bombay). Don't know what that means...look it up. This blog entry is not going to provide any background or educational facts. I am holiday after all ;-) The new flat is lovely. It is everything my Aunt & Uncle are; peaceful, crisp, welcoming and warm. They are quite close to Marine drive so I am keen to go out for a run..will keep you posted on that front. Fingers crossed, I will be hit my goal and will be able to start running again. In the evening we went to Breach Candy Club for some beers and tandoori. Oh how I am going to enjoy eating here. I think my goal will be accomplished in no time :-)

On Sunday evening, we went to Koklia Masi's (my Mom's Aunt's apartment) in Walkeshwar (the view from her bed room is the first snap - - now that is a way to wake up). It was not a long visit, but it was nice to visit with Koklia Masi as she is the eldest of the family. What a women she is?! You want to know what strength and elegance is this is a lady to meet. I realised that I did not take a family snap whilst there. Don't know what I was thinking...clearly was to engrossed in conversation to capture the moment. It happens, what can I say...contrary to popular belief my camera is not glued to my hands 24/7...I do sometimes enjoy the moment :-)

After our visit, we went to Trishna for dinner. This is not a restaurant that you come to for the surrounding, decor or ambiance...there is only one reason to come to this top restaurant - FOOD. Well know for its food, this restaurants dines the who's who of India (including Cricket captain Gary Kirsten who sat a few tables away from us). One would have thought that I had never seen before as I thorough enjoyed and was not the least bit shy about eating the garlic clams, tandoori baby shark, butter garlic crab, and garlic chili lobster. Oh this is how seafood is meant to be enjoyed. What flavours!! I am happy to report that they have opened a Trishna in London!!! Not quite the same menu, but be certain I am checking this place out!!!

On that heavenly note, I am off. Hope you all are smiling and eating like there is no tomorrow.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

xx

T




No comments: